Larkette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larkette

Just thought these things are cool. Would make a neat body style if I ever build a Lawn-Lark II[]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

I did an internet search but found very little information about these. What I did find is that they were built in 1959 by Master Enterprises of Eau Claire Michigan and have a fiberglass body and came with a choice of electric or gasoline power and were sold through Studebaker dealers. I may have an issue of Turning Wheels from years ago with more info....

SnowLark
    In the middle of Minnestudea
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Several members have these. Maybe one of them will be cruising the forum and comment.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
      1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

A member of our chapter used to have three Larkettes. Two were gas powered and a third was at one time electric, but was missing the motor. He and his wife used to drive them in parades. I think he has gotten rid of all of them. I always thought Larkette was pretty cool promotional idea. I don't know of any other car company to sponsor something like them.

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Other manufacturers offered their own renditions. For one, I remember seeing a 56 Pontiac at new car introduction time in the fall of 55. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

A fiend of mine purchased the small scale (but human size with gasoline engine) Plymouth Prowler when they first came out. One Winter, we put it on the showroom floor. It gave the owner storage for it and made a conversation piece in the dealership.

I have seen the Larkette. I believe that there was a good write-up in Turning Wheels. Keep in mind that the Larkette was not a Studebaker product.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have one I am working on but never seem to find time. I have a history of them on our club webstte. ncsdc.net Go to links page.
              Jack White
              Jack White
              Charlotte,NC
              North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Thanks for sharing the information Jack and thanks to Jim Geary for the research. Any chance the mold for the body is still around?

SnowLark
                sigpic

Comment

Have always wanted one of these!Seen my 1st one in the 70S in South Bend being driven around by a young girl,I was probably under 10.Have a full size version that needs attention.Ed

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr Speed 53

Have always wanted one of these!Seen my 1st one in the 70S in South Bend being driven around by a young girl,I was probably under 10.Have a full size version that needs attention.Ed
                    Uhhh, you have a full size version of a Larkette (Lark) or a full size version of a girl (woman) that needs attention?

[8D]

SnowLark
                    sigpic

Comment

Should have mentioned it is a real car!Its a 60 Red Lark Power Pack Convertible that use to belong to the Stude dealer in our town.I worked for him while in high school in the 80s on used cars and selling X-mas trees.The car was traded in by a young guy that inherited it and was stored down the alley in his brothers garage so I would ask permission and could look at it thru dirty windows and a bad garage door.As for the woman she gets regular attention.Ed

Comment

I found this interesting as it served the same function as the Larkette. Has anybody ever seen one?

SnowLark
                        sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bamajak

I have one I am working on but never seem to find time. I have a history of them on our club webstte. ncsdc.net Go to links page.
                          Jack White
                          I tried to buy this one from Jack many years ago. If he had been willing to sell, it would have been Matthew's first Studebaker. NT

Neil Thornton
                          Hazlehurst, GA
                          '57 Silver Hawk
                          '56 Sky Hawk
                          '51 2R16 dump truck
                          Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Good to see ya here Jack. Got the R1 Champ back from the paint shop yet??

Matthew Burnette
                            Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Starlight Stainless
                            912-253-3037

Comment

The Champ is still at the race shop. Nothing is going too fast as thay have 6 cars going to Daytona next week. I also have a 56 t-bird go kart that was a door prize for a movie grand opening.

Jack White
                              Charlotte,NC
                              Jack White
                              Charlotte,NC
                              North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Working...
                              X