Black and tangerine Avantis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black and tangerine Avantis?

I've seen white and gold Avantis with the tangerine interiors, but never a black body/tangerine interior. Was this an option? Like JDP, I think this would look great, especially around Halloween! Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
    1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Yes it was an optional combination. Altho I've never personally seen one I know several people who have and have said they look sharp. It's a combo I'd like to own altho I had always kinda worried about it looking too "Halloween".

R2Andy
    R2Andrea

Comment

That's sounds like a terrific color combo.
      Anyone have pix?

Chris Pile
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Wouldn't that combo would be relatively rare given Stude suspended black as a body color early into production then bought it back for '64.

Jim
        Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
        Jim
        Often in error, never in doubt
        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had a 63 that was gray with orange. When I repainted it I changed it to white.

Denny L

Comment

I'd love a white one with tangerine interior...like the dealer postcard photo.
            Black and tangerine? Probably not.
            I'd like to see a photo though...

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Currently restoring a white over orange R-2 4spd Avanti, and a black over orange, R-1 auto A/C quiet exhaust equipped Avanti that was shipped to NYC as a courtesy car to the advertising firm Studebaker used. JS
              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Sorry-Gremlins won't let me delete duplicate post!
                JS

Comment

Pics would be cool, LarkTruck!

Am I correct in remembering tangerine was a '63 only interior color? Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                  1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
                  1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                  1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

My car was originally a white exterior over tangerine interior from the factory. In its restored state; however, it will be a non-Stude color. At the time I purchased my car about 2000, I didn't think anyone had found a supplier with a matching tangerine colored vinyl. My car when I received it had been re-upholstered once with an orange vinyl but not really close at all to the original. There was a sample of original seat tangerine vinyl in the truck so I keep it. I mailed the sample to JDP but don't know if he or anyone else was able to duplicate the color.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
                    sigpic
                    John
                    63R-2386
                    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

My car was originally a white exterior over tangerine interior from the factory. In its restored state; however, it will be a non-Stude color. At the time I purchased my car about 2000, I didn't think anyone had found a supplier with a matching tangerine colored vinyl. My car when I received it had been re-upholstered once with an orange vinyl but not really close at all to the original. There was a sample of original seat tangerine vinyl in the truck so I keep it. I mailed the sample to JDP but don't know if he or anyone else was able to duplicate the color.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification

I was able to find a close vinyl match.

JDP/Maryland
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LarkTruck

Currently restoring a white over orange R-2 4spd Avanti, and a black over orange, R-1 auto A/C quiet exhaust equipped Avanti that was shipped to NYC as a courtesy car to the advertising firm Studebaker used. JS
                        Was that D'Arcy in NYC? Years ago, I met a woman whose daughter worked for the NYC advertising agency that handled Studebaker for awhile. I tried to get her to have her daughter search for any remaining Studebaker items. I had no success in my quest. I also met a man that worked for an agency that handled Studebaker in the early postwar era. He came up with the "First by far with a postwar car" slogan and was amazed that I remembered it (I brought it up first before I knew that it was his slogan.). I may have the agency names mixed up. I know that they were two separte agencies.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, it was D'Arcy, and it is reflected on the production order. Both cars undergoing full body off restos. R-2 rolling chassis and drivetrain are complete, and R-1 rolling chassis is finished, waiting on the engine/trans rebuild from Dave Thibeault. Both bodies stripped to bare glass, and currently in body/paint process. Will post pics when available. JS

Comment

Working...
                          X