Driver's Ed car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's Ed car

Found this old article in some papers I got with my vehicle. Wonder what happened to these vehicles. I think the paper's name was Grit.

Thanks for posting that article. That was a rare car even without the dual controls. Richard Quinn wrote about those 4 door convertibles in TW a while back. The 38 convertible brochure was also an interesting piece. When you turn the page it goes from top down to top up.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Thanks for posting that article. That was a rare car even without the dual controls. Richard Quinn wrote about those 4 door convertibles in TW a while back. The 38 convertible brochure was also an interesting piece. When you turn the page it goes from top down to top up.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Great loking car...from the windshield back it looks like a Cord 810/812.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Great loking car...from the windshield back it looks like a Cord 810/812.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Many years ago in Turning Wheels someone reported finding a 1954 (I think) sedan in a junkyard with dual controls for driver training purposes. The article had pictures of it too. IIRC, the car was too rough to restore, but the person who wrote the article bought the car and saved it anyway just because it was so unusual.

Comment

Many years ago in Turning Wheels someone reported finding a 1954 (I think) sedan in a junkyard with dual controls for driver training purposes. The article had pictures of it too. IIRC, the car was too rough to restore, but the person who wrote the article bought the car and saved it anyway just because it was so unusual.

Comment

I have this old photo of a guy with a 38 Studebaker convertible. I wonder if he knows what he has there!

Comment

I have this old photo of a guy with a 38 Studebaker convertible. I wonder if he knows what he has there!

Comment

I remember the TW article on that drivers ed studebaker. I took a drivers ed coarse back in the '60s at my hi-school and they had a couple dual control Ramblers for us to learn on ...they were neat cars !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
                    1960 Lark 2dr
                    1960 Champ
                    1964 Daytona HT
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I remember the TW article on that drivers ed studebaker. I took a drivers ed coarse back in the '60s at my hi-school and they had a couple dual control Ramblers for us to learn on ...they were neat cars !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
                      1960 Lark 2dr
                      1960 Champ
                      1964 Daytona HT
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Our driver's ed cars were Fords. They only had a brake on the instructor's side. My instructor used to compensate by hanging a hand off the wheel. I finally broke him of the habit by pulling over (on the freeway at that) and refusing to drive any more unless he desisted with the habit. It caused the car to drift right, had to constantly correct left. Besides the annoyance and general unnerving quality of it. He used to ride the brake too. I got stopped (during class) once because of him. He explained it away to the cop and we were let go. We all gave him an intense, silent stare the whole time. That broke that habit too. Coach Holbrook was an abysmal driving teacher.

Lotsa Larks!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Our driver's ed cars were Fords. They only had a brake on the instructor's side. My instructor used to compensate by hanging a hand off the wheel. I finally broke him of the habit by pulling over (on the freeway at that) and refusing to drive any more unless he desisted with the habit. It caused the car to drift right, had to constantly correct left. Besides the annoyance and general unnerving quality of it. He used to ride the brake too. I got stopped (during class) once because of him. He explained it away to the cop and we were let go. We all gave him an intense, silent stare the whole time. That broke that habit too. Coach Holbrook was an abysmal driving teacher.

Lotsa Larks!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Leonard - Do you live in a photo archive museum [?] You seem to have one or more pic for every subject posted, I am not complaining mind you. I am in awe of the numbers and variety of pics you have posted on the forum - Thank You for the picture parade []

Studebaker Fever
                            60 Lark
                            51 Champion
                            Phil
                            Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                            60 Lark
                            56 Power Hawk
                            Phil Hendrickson
                            Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Leonard - Do you live in a photo archive museum [?] You seem to have one or more pic for every subject posted, I am not complaining mind you. I am in awe of the numbers and variety of pics you have posted on the forum - Thank You for the picture parade []

Studebaker Fever
                              60 Lark
                              51 Champion
                              Phil
                              Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                              60 Lark
                              56 Power Hawk
                              Phil Hendrickson
                              Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Working...