Chris' other Eye Candy 1/24 Prototype Avantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris' other Eye Candy 1/24 Prototype Avantis

Since I have other photos I plan on useing, and don't want to split up the Avantis today, bonus cars...

This was a french concept for the Avanti, by Raymond Loewy.

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Chris, while where were a couple of French Avanti protos, that ain't it.

Matthew Burnette
    Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Starlight Stainless
    912-253-3037

Comment

A few weeks ago there was a thread about a 1956 patent application for a Studebaker Hawk design with that same front styling.

SnowLark
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Picture #2 reminds me a lot of a Lotus 7.

Doug
        Venice, Florida
        1950 Champion
        9G F1

Comment

I need to check my temperature. I "almost" like this thing.[:0]

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Lancia is an Italian company.

According to this page: http://www.ritzsite.nl/Lancia/21_LanciaCC.htm , this wasn't so much of a Avanti proposal but a Lancia prototype that Loewy designed. As we have seen in the patent drawings and such, Loewy had ideas and features that show up on many cars. He apparently didn't stop trying with these features until he had success. In my opinion, he finally found success with many features in the mass-produced Avanti.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
            53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

I am sure thankful that they didn't use that front end. It is ugly.It kind of reminds me of the late fifties customs by George Barris.

Comment

Looks like some ones back yard mess, thank god for what we got...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                canbstudebakers-
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

The evolution of automotive style is a fascinating subject. Clearly it can be seen with designs like this - that stylists were bored in the later 1950's. Most of the wild show cars from the car designers, and the car customizers, were meant as rolling business cards. In other words they wanted people to STOP and stare and hopefully remember who was the stylist. Outlandish design was guaranteed to get photographed and possibly end up on the cover of magazines. It was just business promotion with no real expectations of production. While it is true that car shows attracted large audiences to see these "dream" cars - the business side of the car industry showed these cars with a nod and a wink, and then delivered just enough of the styling to sell cars and to keep people coming back for more. Remember too that Lowey's target audience was generally NOT the general public, but rather the business executives who ran the companies he wished to have as clients.

Of course, the passage of time has been kinder to some design ideas than others. http://www.milestonecarsociety.org/

Thomas

Comment

That car is neither a "prototype Avanti" nor a "french concept for the Avanti". Raymond Loewy had several custom cars built for his own use. This car is a customized Italian Lancia. Note that the model name of "Loraymo" is just a play on Raymond Loewy's name. The Studebaker Avanti rushed design did incorporate 1961 Continental, 1961 XKE and Loewy custom cars as design elements.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary
                      The Studebaker Avanti rushed design did incorporate 1961 Continental, 1961 XKE and Loewy custom cars as design elements.
                      Where do you see any 1961 Continental design elements in the Avanti?
                      The '62 G.T. Hawk had some definite '61 Lincoln touches to it, but the slab-sided Continental is at odds with the curvasious shape of the Avanti.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by studegary
                        The Studebaker Avanti rushed design did incorporate 1961 Continental, 1961 XKE and Loewy custom cars as design elements.
                        Where do you see any 1961 Continental design elements in the Avanti?
                        The '62 G.T. Hawk had some definite '61 Lincoln touches to it, but the slab-sided Continental is at odds with the curvasious shape of the Avanti.

Craig
                        The two most popular/recognized car designs of the time that the Avanti was designed were the 1961 Continental and the 1961 XKE. Tom Kellogg said that there were pictures of both already up on the wall in the Palm Beach house when he arrived there. I mostly see the Continental influence in the greenhouse and the top of the fender line. The Avanti is the only Studebaker with curved side glass and that side glass has the same curvature as a Continental.
                        Edit: Also, John Ebstein told me that the Continental and the XKE were used when designing the Avanti. Of course, Tom and John would know as they were a major part of the Avanti design.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

This thing looks almost like it is made of stainless steel. Now that would have been interesting. I really like the silver interior too.
                          quote:
                          Since I have other photos I plan on useing, and don't want to split up the Avantis today, bonus cars...

This was a french concept for the Avanti, by Raymond Loewy.
                          Did this Avanti prototype become a Lancia? I never heard of a Lancia/Avanti endeavor.

I really like this car from the cowl back, except for the airfoil on the roof. The front end, not so much. It really looks like two separate cars some how.

Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

The evolution of automotive style is a fascinating subject.
                            Amen! The fact the design we all know (and some of us love) as the Avanti became an iconic one for Studebaker is more blind luck and timing than anything else. The basic shape had been evolving in Loewy's studios for at least a decade when it finally got attached to Egbert's car. Parts of this Lancia are even more closely related to the '53 Bourke C/K - take a look at that C pillar.

(edited for photo credit: Avanti shots from eBay listing)

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                            In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                            If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Thank goodness for blind luck - there is very little that I would have liked to have been done different on the Avanti. Maybe a less upright windshield and more rear seat leg room. For a crash design done on a low budget it is amazing how it all came together into a neat package.

I know that they were already out of money, but I think that if they had been able to hang in there long enough to start making the Brooks Stevens designed Sceptre http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...kersceptre.htm - I think that it would have been a sales hit.

Thomas

Comment

Working...
                              X