This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfortable speeds for a 50 Champion

As I crank up and get into the restoration of my 50 Champion, I am getting flak from the Muscle boys saying that I won't be able to keep up on a trip. I'm not trying to build a muscle car I tell them, I already have two of those premium gas guzzlers. I can't remember back to the days when my Dad had his 50 Champion and at what speeds it would transverse the boulavards. It had overdrive, I do remember that, and so does my Champion, but with 85 horses under the hood, it does make me wonder if it will be a struggle to do 65 MPH on the interstate, or will I need to use the backroads?

~ Don ~

Don Dodson

My 55 Champion with the flat 6 will cruise all day long at 65 with OD, so you will have no trouble on the highway. Just don't plan on making any fast starts or merging in front of someone unless you are downhill with a tail wind!! Not sure what the '50 brakes were like though. Chris

1955 Champion Deluxe 2dr.

Comment

My 55 Champion with the flat 6 will cruise all day long at 65 with OD, so you will have no trouble on the highway. Just don't plan on making any fast starts or merging in front of someone unless you are downhill with a tail wind!! Not sure what the '50 brakes were like though. Chris

Comment

My '59 Lark VI with Flightomatic can cruise easily at 60 mph. It's the same engine, but with 90 horses. A car with the same engine and overdrive will certainly do better. You just won't win any acceleration contests. Acceleration is leisurely at best.
        Rog
        '59 Lark Regal Hardtop
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

My '59 Lark VI with Flightomatic can cruise easily at 60 mph. It's the same engine, but with 90 horses. A car with the same engine and overdrive will certainly do better. You just won't win any acceleration contests. Acceleration is leisurely at best.
          Rog
          '59 Lark Regal Hardtop
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

It'll keep up, believe me. My 50 StarLight Champion will run all day at 55-65 mpr in o.d., even in the heat of summer. If you're pulling hills, like here in the Ozarks, you'll sometimes have to kick her down to get over the top.

You'll have to compensate for those 1950 brakes though. People today expect you to stop on a dime, so be carefull out there.

Dick
            Mtn. Home, AR

Dick
            Mountain Home, AR
            http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

It'll keep up, believe me. My 50 StarLight Champion will run all day at 55-65 mpr in o.d., even in the heat of summer. If you're pulling hills, like here in the Ozarks, you'll sometimes have to kick her down to get over the top.

You'll have to compensate for those 1950 brakes though. People today expect you to stop on a dime, so be carefull out there.

Dick
              Mtn. Home, AR

Dick
              Mountain Home, AR
              http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

My old 1960 Lark VI kept up nicely with a pack of Hawks and Avantis 4 years ago when we caravaned 400 miles to a Zone meet on Interstate 80. The only problem I had was fighting off boredom each time we had to stop for gas and my thrifty Lark 6 didn't need any!

Studedude1961
                --1963 Cruiser (Now on eBay)

Comment

My old 1960 Lark VI kept up nicely with a pack of Hawks and Avantis 4 years ago when we caravaned 400 miles to a Zone meet on Interstate 80. The only problem I had was fighting off boredom each time we had to stop for gas and my thrifty Lark 6 didn't need any!

Studedude1961
                  --1963 Cruiser (Now on eBay)

Comment

My 48 Champion will run 65-70 with no problem. The coolant temp used to creep up to the hot side if run at high speeds for long periods of time. A six blade fan and a fan srhoud took care of that. Still a little low on power in the mountains.[8D]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

My 48 Champion will run 65-70 with no problem. The coolant temp used to creep up to the hot side if run at high speeds for long periods of time. A six blade fan and a fan srhoud took care of that. Still a little low on power in the mountains.[8D]

Comment

One more thing. As far as brakes go you must keep them in top condition and they will perform well but if you want to drive hard and tailgate these brakes just are not up to that![8D]

Comment

One more thing. As far as brakes go you must keep them in top condition and they will perform well but if you want to drive hard and tailgate these brakes just are not up to that![8D]

Comment

Mine is a '54 Champion, original 6 cyl. with OD. We all seem to be in agreement on this thread. Cruising in OD is no problem at normal road speeds. Acceleration off the line is slow, and steep hills can be a bit of an effort. Do allow extra stopping distance where possible. It isn't that the Studebaker's brakes are bad, it's more the fact that people today drive in a crazy manner without any regard to others that causes problems!

Comment

Mine is a '54 Champion, original 6 cyl. with OD. We all seem to be in agreement on this thread. Cruising in OD is no problem at normal road speeds. Acceleration off the line is slow, and steep hills can be a bit of an effort. Do allow extra stopping distance where possible. It isn't that the Studebaker's brakes are bad, it's more the fact that people today drive in a crazy manner without any regard to others that causes problems!

Comment

Working...
                              X