• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker African-Amer. employee museum exhibit

SnowLark
    In the middle of Minnestudea
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Thanks for link to this really interesting story. It is at times like this that I wish I was closer to South Bend. I know the museum has lots of temporary exhibits throughout the year, but I can't get up there every time there is one I would like to see. This is one that I would really like to see.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Yeah, talked to Andy Beckman the other day, sounds like an interesting new exibit. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Maybe someday the museum will offer virtual tours of their exhibits, for a small fee, via internet connection. Certainly not the same as being there, but would be very convenient.

SnowLark
        sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Maybe someday the museum will offer virtual tours of their exhibits, for a small fee, via internet connection. Certainly not the same as being there, but would be very convenient.

SnowLark
          Submit your idea to the board of the museum ... it would be a great way for them to make a little extra revenue to cover expenses.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Considering there was violence during WW II over blacks working in the defense industry, that's quite a record. Even so, I recall the whites only drinking fountains at the court house when I was little in South Bend. It makes me wonder if there was any segregation in the plants lunch rooms for example.

JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

That's a great idea...they could do a yearly pass type deal that notified you of new exhibits as they happen, Lots of possibilities probably little capital outlay to start.

I'm in where do I sign?

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

SnowLark

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

Great idea Brent. It seems to me that the SNM would be able to serve it's most avid supporters by such an outreach.

Pat Casey
                55 Commander
                58 Transtar
                62 GT Hawk
                66 Cruiser
                SDC Member since 1983

Comment

Pretty slithery use of "liberal" and "conservative" from a typically-educated journo. A fellow might want to look up what the progressive and liberal takes were on segregation in the 1920's.

Studebaker's semi-pro basketball team was integrated, too, which is certain to be covered in the exhibit artifacts. This was an extremely big deal, since no other sports leagues were.

Mr. Edward Davis, the first black new-car dealer, spoke at the 1996 International Meet. He recalled what an embarrassment it was for Studebaker management to arrange lodging for him at segregated hotels, to attend their integrated dealers' meeting.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by comatus

Pretty slithery use of "liberal" and "conservative" from a typically-educated journo. A fellow might want to look up what the progressive and liberal takes were on segregation in the 1920's.

Studebaker's semi-pro basketball team was integrated, too, which is certain to be covered in the exhibit artifacts. This was an extremely big deal, since no other sports leagues were.

Mr. Edward Davis, the first black new-car dealer, spoke at the 1996 International Meet. He recalled what an embarrassment it was for Studebaker management to arrange lodging for him at segregated hotels, to attend their integrated dealers' meeting.
                    Liberal and conservative are not just political terms:

"Liberal" tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition

For example a conservative view of the hobby might not include street rods, but that has nothing to do with politics. Studebaker was going against the norm by hiring blacks, and was thus liberal in it's hiring practices, nothing more.

JDP/Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

That's cause they dared to be different. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

It makes me even prouder to be a Studebaker person.

Doug
                        Venice, Florida
                        1950 Champion
                        9G F1

Comment

I think in one of the assembly line photos Mr. Quinn put on the forum recently, there were people of multiple races working on the body drop.

When Bethlehem Steel was "in it's prime" (1950's) they recruited workers from Puerto Rico to work at the main Bethlehem site. Main reason for recruiting these workers was to get them on the company's sports teams...

<center>60S-W4 - 7E7-122
                          </center>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 62champ

When Bethlehem Steel was "in it's prime" (1950's) they recruited workers from Puerto Rico to work at the main Bethlehem site. Main reason for recruiting these workers was to get them on the company's sports teams...
                            Another reason for hiring people from Puerto Rico may have been that they are accustomed to very warm temperatures therefor can handle the high temps in a steel manufacturing environment. I don't have any facts to support this, its just a theory I came up with.

SnowLark
                            sigpic

Comment

When I was in South Bend in 2002 for the National Meet,I recall talking with an elderly black gent who worked at "Studebakers",putting bumpers on Larks,like the one I was driving he said. Wished I had of talked with him longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X