Avanti comment from 1963- body history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti comment from 1963- body history

Saw this in the March 1963 Car Life and thought it was interesting. I was playing with a new voice recognition dictation app on the iPhone, so I dictated it from the magazine and am posting it here:

The Studebaker Corporation's recent decision to build its own
    fiberglass Avanti body reflects the manufacturer's interest in
    creating and preserving quality in its image car, the Avanti.

Consumer demand, of course, is another reason for the South Bend, Indiana assembly line. Molded Fiber Glass Body Co. of Ashtabula Ohio, produces both panels and finished bodies for the Avanti, but can't make enough of the latter to meet Studebaker's doubled production goal. MFG also makes the panels (but doesn't assemble them) for the Corvette.

The original production goal of 7000 bodies per year was an ambitious one for MFG's limited facilities and it has been no secret that Avanti production hasn't come along as expected. So, when Studebaker decided it needed more bodies, there was only one way to go -- and Studebaker got into the fiberglass body assembly business. MFG will continue production of both panels and completed bodies; Studebaker will assemble more bodies from MFG-produced panels.

It's obvious that Studebaker has great hopes for the Avanti. The Corporation doesn't stand to make a lot of money on any car that sells only 15,000 units a year, but Studebaker seems determined to make this its quality car with body fits suit the label. It must feel the reputation and image are worth taking on the body production headaches!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Wow, the software did punctuation and all? Just got mine to read my lousy handwriting.

Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yep, does the punctuation and paragraphs too. You have to actually say the punctuation where you want it to be, though.

It's not perfect; you dictate it, then go over and correct it. For example, it could not always recognize 'Avanti'- first time it wrote 'of auntie', and third time it wrote 'about the'[)]
      the second time it got it right though, including the capital 'A'. They are getting better, though.

I love this for writing text messages during the day when I'm busy; dictate, hit the arrow, it goes to the text area, you pick your recipient, double-tap and it paste, and send it. Plenty accurate for texts. And, it's a free app! Love that iPhone[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50
        It's not perfect; you dictate it, then go over and correct it. For example, it could not always recognize 'Avanti'- first time it wrote 'of auntie', and third time it wrote 'about the'[)]
        the second time it got it right though, including the capital 'A'. They are getting better, though.

Parish, central NY 13131
        My problem would be my southern accent and the fact that I've been accused by my English major wife of not speaking english as my primary language. I'm an engineer major and when I started college I couldn't spell engineer .... now I are one.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

John-

Being a clumsy typist I bought my first VR software about 10 years ago. It was expensive and a pain to use, but one of its features was that it 'learned' the user's speech patterns. If you corrected a word, it would verify and remember it for next time. I'd bet this does that automatically. The best part is, being free one could download it and try; if it doesn't work you just delete it. But I'd bet it would 'hear' you just fine.

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Bob an interesting piece to post. Thanks
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thought you guys and gals spoke American?

John Clements
                Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                Lockleys South Australia
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Don't assume all English people are perfect when it comes to the language.

My wife, a genuine English woman imported from the mother country, can't spell to save her life.
                  She's so bad even the doctors she works with kid her about it.

But she'll be excited to hear about the voice recognition software...

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

That is exactly what Otis Romine said.

Comment

Working...