NADA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NADA

How close are the prices given in Nada to what someone can realistically expect to get for their vehicle?

In my uninformed opinion, not close. Unless you plan to sell it at a Barrett-Jackson auction. Then you might well do better than NADA.

Think about it - where is NADA gonna gather up sales results other than auction results or maybe a vendor who specializes in selling Studes??? I seriously doubt they have personnel scouring the countryside to ferret out the occassional Studebaker transfer.
    I've always been suspect of the figures given in NADA or the Old Car Value Guides. Especially when it comes to Studes. I hafta wonder if honest sales results drive their estimates or their estimates drive sales results.

Right here on this forum we regularly witness cars & trucks bought and sold for WELL under the published figures. What does that say about those "reference" standards???

I'm certain others will have different opinions.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

In my uninformed opinion, not close. Unless you plan to sell it at a Barrett-Jackson auction. Then you might well do better than NADA.

Think about it - where is NADA gonna gather up sales results other than auction results or maybe a vendor who specializes in selling Studes??? I seriously doubt they have personnel scouring the countryside to ferret out the occassional Studebaker transfer.
      I've always been suspect of the figures given in NADA or the Old Car Value Guides. Especially when it comes to Studes. I hafta wonder if honest sales results drive their estimates or their estimates drive sales results.

Right here on this forum we regularly witness cars & trucks bought and sold for WELL under the published figures. What does that say about those "reference" standards???

I'm certain others will have different opinions.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I know JDP and others work hard to get NADA values where they feel they should be, but I've seen quite a few instances where NADA values just don't reflect reality. Sometimes they are really inflated and other times they are just ridiculously too low. There are certain models - not necessarily Studebakers - from the 1950s that are incredibly rare today, even though thousands were made. I am thinking specifically of the 1958 - 1959 Rambler 4 door hardtops. There are plenty of people in the US that would give their eye-teeth to find one of these, especially an Ambassador, yet the NADA values treat them like you'll find one on every corner. Even more rare are the 4 door hardtop wagons. They make 1958 Packard Hawks look positively common. The last time I looked the NADA value of one of those Ramblers, the given value was about 40%-50% where I know the market is for them.

After seeing that and a few other examples, I take everything from NADA with a huge grain of salt. Most of the Studebaker values seem OK, but you really need to have an outside experience of the value of a model besides NADA to get a sense of whether the NADA values are realistic. That, of course sort of negates the whole value of having a NADA guide at all.

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I know JDP and others work hard to get NADA values where they feel they should be, but I've seen quite a few instances where NADA values just don't reflect reality. Sometimes they are really inflated and other times they are just ridiculously too low. There are certain models - not necessarily Studebakers - from the 1950s that are incredibly rare today, even though thousands were made. I am thinking specifically of the 1958 - 1959 Rambler 4 door hardtops. There are plenty of people in the US that would give their eye-teeth to find one of these, especially an Ambassador, yet the NADA values treat them like you'll find one on every corner. Even more rare are the 4 door hardtop wagons. They make 1958 Packard Hawks look positively common. The last time I looked the NADA value of one of those Ramblers, the given value was about 40%-50% where I know the market is for them.

After seeing that and a few other examples, I take everything from NADA with a huge grain of salt. Most of the Studebaker values seem OK, but you really need to have an outside experience of the value of a model besides NADA to get a sense of whether the NADA values are realistic. That, of course sort of negates the whole value of having a NADA guide at all.

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I'd say that IMHO, NADA values tend to be high relative to realistic Studebaker sales and the Old Cars Price Guide might be a tad low. By realistic sales, I mean an eBay type sale or other that is heavily advertised at least nationwide. There are often local sales that are well under "market" prices.

With that said, I believe both NADA and OCPG can be WAAAAY off for certain models. Here's an example. I like the 55's as much as anybody (well, maybe not as much as some ), but I believe a '53 Commander Regal Starliner is worth more than a '55 Commander Regal Starliner.

All of the following are for "twenty footers". OCPG calls their #3 a twenty footer and NADA calls their "average" a twenty footer.

OCPG '53 Starliner...$11,700 NADA $11,450
            OCPG '55 Starliner...$13,280 NADA $17,200

IMHO, both the OCPG and NADA are a little light on the '53. NADA is ridiculously high on the '55 and OCPG is probably a shade high. IMHO if you were a seller and went by NADA, you'd be selling the '53 too cheap and would never sell the '55 at that price.

Here's some more...

OCPG '62 Hawk...$9,900 NADA $12,225
            OCPG '63 Hawk...$10,800 NADA $12,450
            OCPG '64 Hawk...$11,250 NADA $12,600

In this example, I'd say that NADA is closer to actual, but maybe still a light on the 63 and 64's.

IMHO, eBay IS the market. A well written ad with plenty of pictures will tell you what the car is worth. I've seen the same car run several times on eBay with essentially the same results.

Hopefully JP will chime in here with his 2 cents.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'd say that IMHO, NADA values tend to be high relative to realistic Studebaker sales and the Old Cars Price Guide might be a tad low. By realistic sales, I mean an eBay type sale or other that is heavily advertised at least nationwide. There are often local sales that are well under "market" prices.

With that said, I believe both NADA and OCPG can be WAAAAY off for certain models. Here's an example. I like the 55's as much as anybody (well, maybe not as much as some ), but I believe a '53 Commander Regal Starliner is worth more than a '55 Commander Regal Starliner.

All of the following are for "twenty footers". OCPG calls their #3 a twenty footer and NADA calls their "average" a twenty footer.

OCPG '53 Starliner...$11,700 NADA $11,450
              OCPG '55 Starliner...$13,280 NADA $17,200

IMHO, both the OCPG and NADA are a little light on the '53. NADA is ridiculously high on the '55 and OCPG is probably a shade high. IMHO if you were a seller and went by NADA, you'd be selling the '53 too cheap and would never sell the '55 at that price.

Here's some more...

OCPG '62 Hawk...$9,900 NADA $12,225
              OCPG '63 Hawk...$10,800 NADA $12,450
              OCPG '64 Hawk...$11,250 NADA $12,600

In this example, I'd say that NADA is closer to actual, but maybe still a light on the 63 and 64's.

IMHO, eBay IS the market. A well written ad with plenty of pictures will tell you what the car is worth. I've seen the same car run several times on eBay with essentially the same results.

Hopefully JP will chime in here with his 2 cents.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, since I wouldn't OWN a copy of the OCPG, can you tell me if they list Speedsters seperate? If not, that might explain the higher figures for 55 hdtps. Either way, I think you make good points.
                From what I've seen, it seems that OCPG and the like tend to try and tie, say, sedan prices to C-K prices for lack of REAL figures to go by.

I've always said (and still do) - they print those guides to sell, not to worry about tracking the old car market. Selling the guide books is the publisher's motivation. Kinda like hiring an appraiser to set a value for your car. The appraiser knows what you want.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Dick, since I wouldn't OWN a copy of the OCPG, can you tell me if they list Speedsters seperate? If not, that might explain the higher figures for 55 hdtps. Either way, I think you make good points.
                  From what I've seen, it seems that OCPG and the like tend to try and tie, say, sedan prices to C-K prices for lack of REAL figures to go by.

I've always said (and still do) - they print those guides to sell, not to worry about tracking the old car market. Selling the guide books is the publisher's motivation. Kinda like hiring an appraiser to set a value for your car. The appraiser knows what you want.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                    can you tell me if they list Speedsters seperate?
                    Get this...

OCPG '55 President State HT $13,500 NADA...$17,400
                    OCPG '55 Speedster $13,950 NADA...$17,700

Talkin' about worthless information [xx(]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                      can you tell me if they list Speedsters seperate?
                      Get this...

OCPG '55 President State HT $13,500 NADA...$17,400
                      OCPG '55 Speedster $13,950 NADA...$17,700

Talkin' about worthless information [xx(]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well, if that's the case, I'm not selling my Lark. So there!
                        Actually, I wasn't selling anyway.
                        The price guides are just that---guides. What transpires between buyer and seller is all that really counts. If both the seller and the buyer are happy with the transaction, then it's a fair price. If there's no meeting of the minds, then they both separate and go about their lives.
                        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Well, if that's the case, I'm not selling my Lark. So there!
                          Actually, I wasn't selling anyway.
                          The price guides are just that---guides. What transpires between buyer and seller is all that really counts. If both the seller and the buyer are happy with the transaction, then it's a fair price. If there's no meeting of the minds, then they both separate and go about their lives.
                          Rog

Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Dick, that's truly laughable!!! And yet the unknowing will cling to such as some sort of gospel. You know, sorta like "I saw it on TV, so it must be fact!" [xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Dick, that's truly laughable!!! And yet the unknowing will cling to such as some sort of gospel. You know, sorta like "I saw it on TV, so it must be fact!" [xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X