• R2 Lark air cleaner assembly

Isn't that also a longer air intake than earlier ones? Extension added? [^]

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

wow looks like a great car, show us more.

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

I included another angle of how this air cleaner would look when installed. I also included a scanned copy of the instruction sheet. From the information that I received, 1964 R2 Larks should have this style air cleaner. I would really appreciate it if someone could verify that information for me.

regards,
        Jay

Comment

It looks like someone cut the mesh out of the inlet that protected the Elements! [:0]

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Maybe someone needed the mesh for a recent hernia surgery, Rich.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by IMJ

I included another angle of how this air cleaner would look when installed. I also included a scanned copy of the instruction sheet. From the information that I received, 1964 R2 Larks should have this style air cleaner. I would really appreciate it if someone could verify that information for me.

regards,
              Jay

I looked at the test reports of the 64's, none have that air cleaner, but it may have been a very late addition.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

I wish I had a close-up shot of the air intake. The intake of the air cleaner does appear a little crude. I don't think there was ever anything covering that opening. There is a mesh type screen inside that opening that surrounds a fiber type material. That gives the picture the appearance that something was cut out. I don't know what that was suppose to accomplish. Maybe sound deadening or something.

Jay

Comment

quote:Originally posted by IMJ

I wish I had a close-up shot of the air intake. The intake of the air cleaner does appear a little crude. I don't think there was ever anything covering that opening. There is a mesh type screen inside that opening that surrounds a fiber type material. That gives the picture the appearance that something was cut out. I don't know what that was suppose to accomplish. Maybe sound deadening or something.

Jay

Exactly, a lot of air goes through that small opening and it quiets it down a bit.

JDP/Maryland
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

I also received this little history of the air cleaner.

-1559514 air cleaner. print released on 07-20-62 for use on 1963 Lark.

-1560233 air cleaner, print released on 10-??-62 canceling the 1559514 air cleaner and 11 months before the publication of the parts book for the 1959-64 vehicles that everyone uses. So this would be the only air cleaner used in 1964.

Thats the history on the R2 Lark air cleaners from Andy Beckman at the Studebaker archives.

My problem is I have never seen one installed like this. But that doesn't mean much considering my limited experience.
                    Jay

Comment

Almost everything looks correct for this air cleaner for 64 larks. There shouldn't be mesh in the inlet and the length, etc looks right.

But, what throws me off is the position of the tube and the inlet. Looking from the front, mine and all others I've ever seen have the tube at the top and inlet facing downward. It's as if those items need rotated about 90 degrees clockwise.

Jeff

Comment

The air cleaner you have is for an Avanti. You were at my house to look at the one on my R2, but I could not get in touch with you to let you know.
                        Thanks
                        Paul Lausch

Comment

Comment

I suspect that you have been sold a 1559514 along with the 1560233 instruction sheet that was left after the PO upgraded his air cleaner following the factory instructions. I may be wrong. It would help if someone would post a picture of a 1559514 air cleaner.

Comment

I am reasonably sure that the air cleaner I have is a NOS unit. The chrome needs to be polished but I can see no evidence of it ever being put in use. There are no scratches or marks around the mounting brackets. The only information that I have is from the instruction sheet and the short history from the Studebaker archives. My air cleaner assembly does not have any part numbers on it. I posted 2 more pictures. The first is another view of the air cleaner that I have. The second is the familiar style with the air intake pointed down toward the exhaust manifold. Notice the red circled mounting stud location on each assembly. When following the instruction sheet it states to use the rearward holes (rearward bracket) to locate the air cleaner and to drill a new hole for the front mounting bracket. It should be approximately 2 inches forward from the original single mounting hole. The mounting stud on the second picture is in about the middle of the air cleaner. Whereas the stud on the air cleaner in the first picture is near the back. Since the rearward bracket is not to be relocated the front bracket in my air cleaner would be farther front as indicated in the instruction sheet. I wonder if the engineers changed their minds and stayed with the original, familiar style air cleaner, or the existing stock was used before the updated version was implemented and the plug got pulled.
                              Once again thanks to all for any input.

regards,

Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X