Unfinished Cancun 2007 Avanti's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfinished Cancun 2007 Avanti's

Does anyone know how many unfinished 2007 Avanti's are locked up in Cancun? Are these 2007 Mustang frame/engines just sitting there waiting for resurrection?

I assume all the body molds are there also.

Hope that the Mex govt and justice dept will release all back to states and those of us interested in finishing these cars. Releasing the 2nd floor museum cars back to the U.S. needs to be done.

The Mexican government isn't so much the trouble as the U.S. government. They don't like used cars coming over the border. New ones, they don't give much trouble over, but used can be a problem.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I'm still hoping that the Gov't auctions off the entire factory and someone buys it and starts producing Avantis again.

The whole Avanti story fascinates me and I hope further chapters are yet to be written. Maybe the next owner will resurrect the Studebaker truck. As far as I know, one was built but none were ever sold.

Jon Stalnaker
      Editor, Hawk Talks
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I would like to see the US Government bring all of the vehicles, both new and used, to the states and have an auction to raise funds.
        I haven't owned a 1997-2007 AVX/Avanti and would like to. Of course, there are less than 100 of these vehicles in total.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Last completed 2007 Avanti from Cancun owned by Steve J. in Fla. We need more of these on the road.

Comment

The government of Mexico officially does not like used cars being brought to their country, BUT
            unofficially tens of thousands of stolen US cars end up there, which is one reason that comp car insurance is so high in border states. The recovery rate is very low because stolen cars are so seldom recovered. Mexico does not send them back.
            I know a guy who visited a huge spread with over 100 acres covered with late model luxury cars
            SUV's, and trucks which had been stolen in the US. The owner was a wealthy and well connected man who sold cars to government officials & business men with total impunity.
            The most popular vehicle to be stolen in Houston is the 4x4 F-350 which is in high demand in Mexico and can be driven right across the Rio Grande, by-passing border check points.

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

I might be in the minority, but I hope these cars never see the light of day. Personally, I don't think these are any different than hanging a fiberglass bulletnose off of an El Camino. If you want to build a car, build a car. But these, the Firebird jokes, and anything else cobbled together just are not worthy. Sell body kits and let it go at that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2161.27)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

I might be in the minority, but I hope these cars never see the light of day. Personally, I don't think these are any different than hanging a fiberglass bulletnose off of an El Camino. If you want to build a car, build a car. But these, the Firebird jokes, and anything else cobbled together just are not worthy. Sell body kits and let it go at that.
                I look at it this way.... Anything that keeps the dream alive is alright by me. [8D][^]

Jon Stalnaker
                Editor, Hawk Talks
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Do you feel it has taken a long time for justice to prevail? Kelly has been confined for quite a while and no trial has taken place. It seems the wheels of justice are turning slowly. It is hoped that production resumes again at some point.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Do you feel it has taken a long time for justice to prevail? Kelly has been confined for quite a while and no trial has taken place. It seems the wheels of justice are turning slowly. It is hoped that production resumes again at some point.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
                    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Several points here. There are at least 2 and possibly 3 Avanti Coupes in mexico. 2 of these 3 will not be allowed in the US as they were constructed from "totaled" (wrecked) cars and the US Transportation Dept will not allow then to come back.

Several attempts have been made by Kelly to get out of jail on bond however he is a flight risk in the eyes of the Govt. and they will not release him and quite frankly in my opinion neither would I. The case is still in the discovery stage and could be for sometime.

Unfortunately for us Avanti folks, don't expect production to begin and time soon at least under the current circumstances.
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The Power Trio that could have been:

Comment

I saw a Lister at the dealer where I bought my '02 Avanti. Really small, very lightweight and designed for a drop in small block Chevy. Even with a base model type small block I would think that car could really go like stink! Drop a ZZ4 or an LS based engine and it would be scary fast...more than most could handle.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Picture this. Say Kelly dosen't get out of jail and standard Avanti production never happens again. So, somebody buys the permission thing and starts making new Avanti kit cars that are made to bolt on to a Mustang or 'vette frame and go. Along with An Avanti interior. I'd give it a R3...[8D] (and build them in South Bend)

Heck with it, just restart Studebaker!!!

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:
                              Heck with it, just restart Studebaker!!!
                              <h3>I'm in</h3>[][^][8D][8)]

Jon Stalnaker
                              Editor, Hawk Talks
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                              Jon Stalnaker
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X