Harbor Freight Torque Wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight Torque Wrench

Harbor Freight has a super special sale this weekend and their 1/2" drive Pittsburgh torque wrench for $9.99 (half price)

Anybody have one?

Reliable or Buyer Beware?

Ted
    '57 Champion

quote:Originally posted by StudeSchack

Harbor Freight has a super special sale this weekend and their 1/2" drive Pittsburgh torque wrench for $9.99 (half price)

Anybody have one?

Reliable or Buyer Beware?

Ted
    '57 Champion
    A torque wrench is not a tool I would go frugal on.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks...agreed JDP...some things at HF are better than others...just thought I'd check!

Ted
      '57 Champion

Comment

Be careful of Harbor Freight stuff...you can get some good buys there, but they also sell a lot of junk tools. I personally would be skeptical of a torque wrench from them...it might work...for awhile. Wait until Sears has a sale and get a Craftsman...they have sales all the time now on tools. If you have steady use for a torque wrench, get Mac or Snap-On. They'll last forever.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

...get Mac or Snap-On. They'll last forever.
          Or until they're stolen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2161.27)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I have bought a couple of them. They work ok but don't last very long. NT

Neil Thornton
            Hazlehurst, GA
            '57 Silver Hawk
            '56 Sky Hawk
            '51 2R16 dump truck
            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeSchack

Ted'57 Champion
              One thing you have to keep in mind about Torque wrenches is that the more you use them,throw/bang them around, and the more you store them in a pre-set mode. The sooner they become inaccurate and will need calibrated.

This is accelerated of you buy junk to start with. When it comes to precison tools always buy quality. Craftsman is good but i'm not sure how their new tool policy impacts these type of tools. Snap On, and Mac have a calibration program unless they have changed it since i hung up my sledge hammer. Pay the dough if you want the go to last.

Comment

I will agree that probably the LAST thing you want to get cheapo with is a torque wrench. It could undo a lot of work in a hurry in the engine department. I have two Craftsman wrenches that are over 20 years old. The newest one is a click style. I have these calibrated twice a year for work and have never had a problem with either of them.

Doug
                Venice, Florida
                1950 Champion
                9G F1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

...get Mac or Snap-On. They'll last forever.
                  Or until they're stolen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom
                  Good point. This makes me remember various tools, usually specialized tools, that have developed legs over the years.

I have a SnapOn torque wrench that I have had for about 30 years now.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

How does one go about getting a torque wrench re-calibrated?

Comment

One way is with a Skidmore, I work for a structural steel company and we have one.
                      It's made by the Wilhelm Skidmore Company and is an industry standard for testing torque / Tension on structural steel bolts.

Dean.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dave Bates

How does one go about getting a torque wrench re-calibrated?
                        Dave, there are many companies that will calibrate & certify. There is one in Virginia and one in South Carolina that are NIST traceable. If you can't find one, PM me and I'll give you a couple of phone numbers when I get to work Monday.

Doug
                        Venice, Florida
                        1950 Champion
                        9G F1

Comment

I have one, works pretty good. I have never had a problem with harbor freight.

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

I have one, works pretty good. I have never had a problem with harbor freight.
                            Well... yeah... but... no offense intended... you ain't been around long enough yet to wear anything out.

Sure I have... If the Lawn-Lark had a mouth, ask it what it thinks of me...[B)][:0]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by bridgegaurd
                              [br
                              Craftsman is good but i'm not sure how their new tool policy impacts these type of tools.

What new tool policy do you refer to? Thanks, Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. In my family since 1958.
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X