Chris' other Eye Candy 1/15 A giant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris' other Eye Candy 1/15 A giant!

This giant wooden studebaker once stood at the proving ground and was visible from SR2. It was all wood and like the trees that spell "STUDEBAKER", it too was giant advertisement. Sadly, it was not saved. At the end of the model year for that car, Studebaker said it was out of date and was burned to the ground. As far as I know, the only part of it that survived and was saved is one of the hub caps, all 5 (spare tire had one too) were removed. The one I know of it at the SNM.

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Nice picture, I think that is from the movie "Wild Flowers" Richard Quinn talks about in this post....

Comment

So i wonder what happened to the tail light and the two wheels? We know a hub cap is in the museum.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Chris, it couldn't have been burned at the end of the '31 model year. The car beside it in the photo is a '35. I think the main reasoning behind burning it, was it was pretty well rotted. (Made of wood).

Matthew Burnette
        Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

One of the hardback books on Studebaker shows a picture of it while it was burning, sad day. Sure wish the panel beaters would have used it as a buck and made a metal body. That would qualify as a wonder of the world in our circle. JB

Comment

There's a good Almanac article on the giant car. I think it was painted at least once. But was kind of deteriorating. Plus it was out of style with the newer models.
            If only it could have lasted long enough to be no longer compared with newer cars. What is old is cool again eventually.

Comment

My Dad told me that he remembered seeing that car when he was a kid. As you travel west on SR2 to the proving ground where the car was located, for the last few miles as you approach it, the roads climbs a long gradual incline. My Dad and the other truckers always referred to it as "Studebaker Hill".

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

There's a good Almanac article on the giant car.
                There's a copy of it here....

Comment

We shouldn't fret, if we get enough members and supplies we can built the giant car again, and if the Studebaker Museum lets us we'll put in front for display.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MyStude_Baker

We shouldn't fret, if we get enough members and supplies we can built the giant car again, and if the Studebaker Museum lets us we'll put in front for display.

1951 Commander Land cruiser
                    The giant car, would be cool no dought, but phisacally wouldn't fit anywhere at the SNM, including the front yard.[V][B)][:0]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                    X