Studebaker tractor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker tractor?

I remember seeing somewhere a picture of a Studebaker farm tractor. It was powered by a champ 6 and supposedly was all studebaker, but made from a kit, also made by studebaker. Does anybody have a picture of the tractor? I believe a real one was at the Hawkeye meet.[?]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Not a factory kit, and not %100 Stude parts either but a well built home-made tractor. It is powered by a straight 8 President engine which was original to the 1929 Stude bus chassis.
    Belongs to Frank Harvey of Derby Kansas.

1949 2R17
    R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks Brent!

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

I seem to recall that Studebaker owned the Oliver tractor company at some point. Is that correct? If so, when?

1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

I'm not aware of Studebaker ever owning Oliver, but Oliver was based out of South Bend. Its very likely that they swapped some employees back and forth through the years.

1949 2R17
          R is for Rusty

sigpic

Comment

Oliver Chilled Plow, Stude's next-door neighbor. Get a fresh cup of coffee, and ask an Oliver man about John Deere. Or as they call them, that other green tractor.

Gosh, that's one beautiful tractor. Someone did some respectable fab work, "Depression Era" or not. Straight 8 President -- reckon they 'brought enough motor'?

Comment

Studebaker never owned Oliver.
              Kim

Comment

My friend has a rear-engined Gravely mower; IIRC, Gravely was owned by Studebaker, making it the answer to your question.

BTW, he still mows his lawn with it every time it's needed, every year.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Studebaker never owned Oliver, but oliver was within walking distance from the Studebaker factory. I am a JD guy when it comes to tractors... Ok, grandpa and I restored 3 and are working on one more, but I do like Oliver, probably just because they were made here in South Bend. One day, I wouldn't mind having a Super 99 Diesel.[]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Oliver Super-99 (1957 or 58 model year shown) with factory optional 3-71 GM diesel engine. The 99 series were built in South Bend IN whereas other models were built in Charles City Iowa. The corporate offices for Oliver were moved to Chicago Illinois in 1929 after Oliver purchased Hart-Parr (of Charles City) and Nichols and Shepard (of Battle Creek MI) tractor companies. White Farm Equipment shut down the original Oliver plant in South Bend in 1985.

1949 2R17
                    R is for Rusty

sigpic

Comment

I just read on Wikipedia that American Motors bought Wheel Horse (of South Bend, IN) in the 1970's (and later sold in the mid 1980's). I found this interesting.

1949 2R17
                      R is for Rusty

sigpic

Comment

Other than physical proximity, there was no relationship between Studebaker and Oliver. Wheel Horse was bought out by Toro in '86. A few years later, Toro shut down the plant here and proceded to scrap large amounts of service parts. Got competition? Buy them out and destroy them. Yet another famous South Bend business gone down the tubes.

R2Andy
                        R2Andrea

Comment

Another sad thing about Wheel Horse is that Toro sells a cheap line of riding mowers and puts the Wheel Horse name on it. Toro is headquartered in Minnesota but I very rarely see anybody with a Toro mower around here. I guess there main business must be golf course and commercial lawn equipment.

1949 2R17
                          R is for Rusty

sigpic

Comment

I recant. In an offbeat way, there is a Studebaker/Oliver connection. Oliver was bought out by the White Corp. in 1969. White Motors was to be part of in S.P.A. Truck Corp. which was to combine Studebaker, Pierce Arrow and White in the truck manufacturing business.

R2Andy

I'd love one of the Oliver Super 99 Diesels too. But make mine the Oliver powered version. If I want to hear a Detroit screaming at me I'll get an E45. lol.

edited because i'm a blind moron.
                            R2Andrea

Comment

Actually, Oliver was purchased by White Truck Corporation in 1960 and White later created the White Farm Equipment division in I believe 1969 which eventually ended the brand names of Oliver, Cockshutt and Minneapolis-Moline during the mid 1970's.

1949 2R17
                              R is for Rusty

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X