1964 Commander 4 door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Commander 4 door

I am going to look at a 64 Commander 4 door that is for sale locally. It was born with a six cylinder and now has a 259. It is supposed to be in running condition. What to do? Price is $500 and may be negotiable. I am not really interested in driving as is, except for the novelty. Would even a good example be worth any more than that? Hate to buy to part out. Not sure if there are any parts that would work on the 53 I am modifying. Just have to go look though....its a Studebaker.

Anyone interested?

Rob in ND
    '53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Rob in ND
    \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Hard to imagine it NOT being worth that for a running V8 car. Pictures would be a big help!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Your poleshed doesnt look full, so I think you should buy it. Just be sure to keep some room for that tractor. [8D]

1949 2R17
      R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I just made the connection. Here's more on this car:

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

There was a really bad flood in Grand Forks about 10 years ago. Wonder if it made it through that unscathed? It would be worth asking at least that question. $500 is an excellent price, I think, even as a four door if it is any kind of good shape, yes even for a 4 door as a daily driver....

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bullet

There was a really bad flood in Grand Forks about 10 years ago. Wonder if it made it through that unscathed? It would be worth asking at least that question. $500 is an excellent price, I think, even as a four door if it is any kind of good shape, yes even for a 4 door as a daily driver....

I took a look at the car last night. OUCH. Lots of rust. Enough in the right front fender that I could not get the front door open more than an inch or 2. Also, the rocker panels are gone, replaced on one side with some diamond tread aluminum. Tough shape.

About the flood. I had thought of that. It was too dark to look for evidence of flooding issues, and the rust turned my stomach. But... the owner lives in a section of town which had about 3-4 feet of water at street level.[V]

Rob in ND

Rob in ND

Comment

Sounds like a car to part out. If the engine and transmission work well, and the car drives, flood damage is probably not an issue. Modern cars, with their maze of electrical wiring are more vulnerable to flood damage.

If the engine and tranny work well, that car would be a great donor to make Bob's burnt Lark hardtop whole again.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

We're on the same wave length gordr. A lot would depend on condition. This morning as I'm contemplating options, the Chevybaker idea has been running through my head. I've got so much in this car now.. The debate is cut losses and move on or stick her in the garage, get a beater and come back to it later.

Dare to be different... Drive your Studebaker!!

Comment

Just found out that car is not in running condition. Distributor problems years ago and has been parked since.

Rob in ND

Rob in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53hardtop

Just found out that car is not in running condition. Distributor problems years ago and has been parked since.
                    Well, that's in conflict with what Bob Palma was told. From Bob's post: "The car runs and drives well and he assures me the overdrive works. He last drove the car two months ago"

Wonder what gives??

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                    X