Just thinking out loud here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just thinking out loud here....

It seems at least once a week, we have people asking 'How To" questions about engine swaps into Studebakers. Often these people are first time posters and or are new to Studebakers in general. These visitors are often unfamiliar with the search function, so we do our best to offer advise over and over. Sadly, these posts sometimes turn into arguments between forum members.

So... what if we created a section or site specific to popular swaps where forum members could donate their experiences, shopping lists, advise, pics and documentation? We could then refer them to this site where the info would be available to any and all interested parties for a minimum Paypal fee. This fee would in turn be donated to the Studebaker Museum to help keep the Studebaker hobby alive.

The section/site could start with a strong argument as to why one should consider keeping their Studebaker Stude powered, discuss the Pros and Cons, and then go on to document popular swaps. It could also have a swap/freebie section where customizers can redistribute their unused/wanted parts. It could also be a place to recruit new SDC members by featuring past Modified Turning Wheels features.

I know that many here are not big fans of alternately powered Studebakers, but wouldn't you rather see a car with a nicely/properly done swap? A car that's back on the road and attending shows rather than one that's been butchered and left to rot away in someone's back yard?

Alright, now bring on the firing squad [:0]

Amen brother.....A Studebaker on the road, what ever the power plant, is a beautiful sight to see!!!!!!!

Comment

I think this is a great idea. I personally prefer Studebaker power, but some do not. That's okay too. Having them on the road is a good thing no matter what.

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Studebakers on the road is more important than the power plant to me. I like the idea of a separate area for "How To's" and general questions. My guess is that is what the technical area was meant for and has grown so big that it is easier to ask their question rather than to search or RTFM

Comment

I think it's a great idea.

Several of the recent members have joined just to ask about engine swaps.

Bob

Comment

Great idea, Will.

I'll help write some of the material if the idea gains traction.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Henry Votel,
              Forest Lake, MN
              Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

30 years ago when I converted my 1954 Champion Starliner HT to a 413 mopar I was replacing a flathead six with an available 413 with 365 HP.The mopar engine was actually lighter that a Stude V-8(625 lbs vs 650 lbs).I stole the rearend(Dana 60) out of a '66 Belvedere x-hemi car that I had(someone had replaced the 426 hemi with a 383).This was all fun back then as my brother was a auto mechanic and helped with all the adaptations.My brother had a 1961 Hawk with a 392 Hemi that he built his own tunnel ram for the engine. He raced it for years and ran in the 11-12 second range.I have old photos(somewhere) of him pulling the front wheels off the ground at the dragstrip on takeoff.I let the car go for various reasons and last year put the rusty hulk in the garage. My wife wanted me to part it out and buy one that was already done but I couldn't see letting another Stude go out of existance so I have been rebuilding it for the last year plus.So it may not be a stock stude but I am trying to keep it looking as stock as possible on the outside.I would hope we wouldn't have to create a new page when we are all just Stude lovers and I always thought that mopar power was what Stude would have been like if they hadn't gone under. John T.

Comment

What about this?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Not a bad idea (the newbie engine question section) because the information would be properly presented, complete and correct, not as would happen now when the reply to the newbies' questions depends on who is available on the forum at the time.

BTW don't forget to direct them to Studebaker vendors who can help them with their Stude engine if they chose, in the end, to retain it.

Also BTW, an automotive machinist that I've worked with for over 20 years told me that the stock older small block Ch*vys were one of the "cruder" engines around. (ok, yeah, I prefer Stude power. Long live the memory of "Barney" Roos, Stan Sparrow, Cole and Vail and "Church".
                    But you're also right that a Stude on the road, no matter if powered by Crossley, is better than sitting rotting in the orchard.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                    47 M-5
                    Izzer Buggy
                    Junior Wagon
                    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Will you must have been reading my mind, just yesterday the owners of a near perfect 54 commander coupe came to my shop, their car had been in my shop for going on 2 years waiting to start a restoration of some kind, we had just finished the brakes, this coupe had been the fathers car way back in fifty's and early sixty's it has been off the road since 1965 when the father passed on, well the 2 brothers and sister came in and we talked about how they wanted it done and how far to go, mind you this is one nice car to start with a few of the forum member have seen it in the shop , it has a SBC 283 engine and floor shift and chrome rims everything else is stock. the engine was stuck but we got it free but compression was off so they figured it needs a new engine so after some talking between them self's it is going to get a new 340 hp 350 SBC and 700R4 everything will be bone ass stock right down to stock hub caps, and original interior, they want it to look like a stock 54 Studebaker coupe but with engine and trans for driving any place they want to go. now the killer part today one of the guys comes in and brings a load of parts that has been in storage since the early 60"s when is the last time you have seen a pair of left and right 1954 grille surrounds nos in the original boxes? also the 54 center grille bars nos in original boxes, same with a pair of nos head light rims, and rear lic. plate bumper guard nos in original box.these are sooooo nice and shinny I didn't figure I could get a good picture with out glare, oh ya nos front fender and hood along with nos front pieces to hold the front together, every thing is going to be new when we get done very little body work to be done just blocking to make a nice thing perfect, will post some pictures soon .

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                      canbstudebakers-
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

I would have liked to have seen your eyes and smile when they walked in with all those NOS parts, Bob. That'll save a ton of time. Can't wait for the pictures. [^]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Henry Votel
                          Thanks, now ya got the song "let it be" stuck in my head.[}] LOL[]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                          X