Pulling input shaft bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling input shaft bearings

I started to work on my stack of T86s during our recent blizzard and subarctic weather last week. I am trying to remove the input shaft from a 1962 Lark six T86 taxi transmission so I potentially have a copy made from an extra V8 input shaft for another six cylinder application and see about transplanting the original input shaft into a T86 overdrive for eventual use in my Lark.

I got the bearing retainer and all the snap ring removed, took the bearing puller/separator #93980 that I bought at Harbor Freight months ago out to pull the bearing off the input shaft like in the shop manual. I can only get the clamping portion of the puller so tight because it seems that the halves of the bearing clamp seem to be hanging on the input shaft proper.

I am using this tool right? You clamp onto the bearing with the open circular side and you use the puller to pull the bearing off the input shaft. Has anyone had to modify this tool to remove their front transmission bearing? When I look at the tool's instructions I am not sure if I need to get longer threaded rods so I can snag the puller in a snap ring groove or ?????.

Any advice is welcome

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Jeff, Some pics. would be nice. I have never tried to remove an input shaft bearing from a tranny with the trans. altogether. I use a larger separator and a 20 ton press to remove them after disassembling the whole trans. Would like to see what you are up against.

Comment

Working...
    X