No announcement yet.

need re-chroming close to Richmond Va.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need re-chroming close to Richmond Va.

Hello, I'm looking for a reputable company or person for the re-chroming of bumpers and small items off my 57GH. I also have another question, "does it help in cost or quality if the current parts needing to be re-chromed are in excellent shape"?... My parts are in excellent shape with no pitting just some cloudiness and a couple of very small scratches. I've seen what I would consider to be wasted parts look incredible after being re-chromed.... Any idea on what I can expect to pay for re-chroming an excellent bumper would be appreciated... Once I get my neede info. from you guys I never follow up with a THANK YOU, simply because I don't want to drag the thread on... Well THANK-YOU for ALL of the help I've received from here with my past questions...

Look for Jerry Forester, here on the forum. It may be worth your while to see about shipping them to him for the quality you're looking for.

sals54
    sals54

Comment

Given enough time and effort, almost anything can be straightened, filled, polished and plated to near perfect.

Plating is the least expensive part. Preparation the most expensive. so, yes, parts which are straight and have minimum damage will cost less to have plated than those in really rough shape.

For an "excellent" bumper, one which is straight, not significantly dented or badly rusted you might pay $250-350.

These folks have a good reputation, and their prices are reasonable.

Comment

Go by the quality and not the location of the plater. Shipping is a lot cheaper than having a poor plating job, having parts damaged or having parts lost. When I had a lot of plating done, I used to take the parts to another state.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am in Richmond and would also suggest you send your parts to Georgia for Jerry to work on.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Hanlon in Richmond has been doing chrome for me for about 15 years, Several months ago they did front and back bumpers on 63 GT hawk for around $600. Their work has been quite satisfactory and years ago they re chromed, at no charge, a bumper that I over tightened and split the chrome around the bumper bolt. I could pay more but then I don't expect any of my cars will be going to Barrett-Jackson. Royal Siverplate in Norfolk has also done work for me, exceptional work and pricey.

Comment

Chrome company has gone from Richmond, but you can a member of our Central Virginia Chapter. I hope you can be a member.

Local car club in Central VA for Studebaker enthusiasts.

We had a meet today at River City Diner on Huguenot Road in Midlothian.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

You might also try Librandi's Plating near Harrisburg Pa.

Librandi's Plating
                93 Airport Drive #H1A
                Middletown Pennsylvania 17057
                (near York Pa.)
                (717) 944-9442
                Fax (717) 944-3015

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

Look for Jerry Forester, here on the forum. It may be worth your while to see about shipping them to him for the quality you're looking for.

sals54

Jerry Forrester is THE man to do Stude chrome. I had 4 pieces ruined by an incompetent plater trying to save a few bucks and Jerry even saved the pieces the other guy wouldnt try. See my recent post titled Jerry Forrester to see my rusty old pitted bumper after Jerry finished it. Most of my stuff is still wrapped but everything I have looked at is true first class show ready work. Great guy and timely return of your parts. Well worth the extra trouble to get your stuff to him. Steve

Truck is recovered,need to change avitar. Steve
                  STOLEN TRUCK!
                  sigpic

Comment

Hanlon is in business in Richmond, 804 233 2021, they are just off Maury (sp) street, just talked to them.

Comment

Working...
                    X