Chris' other Eye Candy 1/9 Another weird prototype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris' other Eye Candy 1/9 Another weird prototype

Believe it or not, this IS a Studebaker. Nobody is really sure what it is though. We have thoughts that it was for military use in the desert. Or maybe it had something to do with the Desert Explorers, who knows... Anyway, it is being saved, but is not for sale. Also, not saying where it is located.

Chris Dresbach
    Chris Dresbach

Prototype of a camel pulled golf bag cart?

Lost in the 50's

Comment

I suspect it was something for moving around items on the assembly floor.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (under restoration)</div id="left">
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

<s>Self-propelled</s> Foot-propelled lunar explorer for upcoming missions to the moon.
        (I used the wrong choice of words [B)] )

1949 2R17
        R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

My first thought was some kind of a bomb cradle. But closer at its construction makes me doubt is it substantial enough for that. The U-brackets look downright flimsy.

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

I suspect it was something for moving around items on the assembly floor.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (under restoration)</div id="left">
            No. This was not a "plant floor" cart. It is a completely one off. We still have and use origional Studebaker carts over at the SI move, and this is nothing like them.

Chris Dresbach
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Self-propelled lunar explorer for upcoming missions to the moon.

1949 2R17
              R is for Rusty

Well, not self propelled, and it dosent steer, but it was suspected at first that it could have been a proposal for the 1969 moon landing, but after further examination, we think it was defionately desert military.[?]

Chris Dresbach
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

My first thought was some kind of a bomb cradle. But closer at its construction makes me doubt is it substantial enough for that. The U-brackets look downright flimsy.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Thats what we were thinking, but it would be a lighter bomb or object. It has wide, plastic wheels for sand use it appears.[?]

Chris Dresbach
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

What about this object identifies it as a Studebaker product?
                  I am not disputing your conclusion that it was. I just do not see anything in the photos that indicates ANY specific origin or maker.

It is indeed an odd cart.

My first guess, not seeing anything in real life, just the photo, is that it is a trash/waste container transport. I am not talking about sandwich wrapper type trash.
                  I am talking about trash with some remaining value, such as fabric trimmings, which would not be large enough to make a seat or headliner with, but would be large enough to sell as rag or remnants.
                  A container, for whatever these objects were, would have been held by the pipes, and one could wheel this from point to point, rather than have to pick up the storage containers.
                  Of course I am just making up fabric as an example of something you would set aside when you could not use it, rather than throw out. I have no real clue what kind of objects the containers would have contained.

Comment

If that thing was down here in Florida, I would say it was a beach buggy that some guy made to haul his fishing gear down to the shore. You can't believe how elaborate some of them get.

Doug
                    Venice, Florida
                    1950 Champion
                    9G F1

Comment

Put a surry top on it and Fred Flintstone would be right at home in it.

Jon Stalnaker
                      Editor, Hawk Talks
                      Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                      Jon Stalnaker
                      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Jon, you beat me to it!

Funny speculations.. if that is any kind of desert explorer one-off design, it isn't serious unless its use is to tow a mother-in-law: Excessive heat access from all areas for that seating area.

Comment

It doesn't seem to be a factory cart, no way to push it, or steer it. It almost had to be self propelled of some sort. It almost looks as if it were a model of some kind, The wheels make no sence for factory floor use, and they mount on just a single bolt, not typical for any kind of powered setup. Those plastic tires are good for NOTHING.

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

We need more information about the tires. Are they inflatable? Are the tires rubber? Being that the tread is white, then perhaps it is meant to be pulled on finished interior floors where black tread would otherwise leave marks? Perhaps it's an item listed in a McMaster-Carr catalog from 1962?

1949 2R17
                            R is for Rusty

sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

We need more information about the tires. Are they inflatable? Are the tires rubber? Being that the tread is white, then perhaps it is meant to be pulled on finished interior floors where black tread would otherwise leave marks? Perhaps it's an item listed in a McMaster-Carr catalog from 1962?

1949 2R17
                              R is for Rusty

They are plastic tires, but they are not inflateable. They actually have no tread at all, instead they have ^ shape all the way around. And another thing that is a little less know is that the natural color of rubber is actually white.

Chris Dresbach
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X