Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bordeaux Red convert 64V-5962--survives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bordeaux Red convert 64V-5962--survives?

I know it's a REAL long shot, but my friend and hometown dealer in NW PA (photo below) sold new, '64 convertible serial no. 64V-5962. It was Bordeaux Red, white top, black vinyl buckets, 289, 4-speed, and had wheel covers and a Climatizer. I found this info out from the archives at the SNM. My friend, the dealership owner (who turns a healthy 81 on Jan. 25) said he remembers the car as he had it in the showroom. He said "It had a black stripe down the side". I'm sure he meant the black insert on the Daytona's side moldings.

The production order for the car says "Buffalo, NY" so it was obviously a dealer trade (the production order doesn't always show the ultimate destination!). I saw in the records at the SNM that the dealership sold a '64 Commander 2-door sedan, six (serial 64S-2954) to Advance Studebaker of Buffalo, NY so this was probably the traded vehicle. Geez, my buddy got the better end of that deal!

Just wondering if it may survive. Again, it was sold new in NW Pennsylvania, so I realize the chances aren't great!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
    '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Aah shoot, Bill, I thought I found it!

Just a White one, but it DOES have a Red (maroon) interior, does that count? [:0]

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wait, what's that right in front of the brown one?

Comment

Are you kidding, or do you mean the White W/Blue in front of the Brown Wagonaire in the back row?

It's not a Convertible, wrong roofline and quarter windows. It appears to maybe be a Daytona Hardtop.

The Conv. has a silver cover over most of the top.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm starting to think we need to set up a "Info Wanted Please" thread on this board... I'm looking for '64 Daytona HT 64V 9442. I'm also starting to think it's time to set up a registry for '64 Lark types. What say you all?

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
          In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
          If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Sorry Keoni, go fish. I just checked my hardtop in the garage and it is 64V-6357. I have another that I can check on tomorrow but I think it spent its entire life in MN (its brown with tan interior by the way).

1949 2R17
            R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I thought at first glance that maybe the white one was mine. But it appears to have bucket seats Mine has a bench. Maybe it's the one that BP now has.
              JWW

Comment

Keoni - A '64 Lark type registry would rock. Great idea!

Comment

ok stupid question, but why are those military style trucks painted red?

Comment

I would guess those trucks are in primer. You don't see military ID numbers stenciled on yet.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Wouldnt they paint the trucks before putting the tires, windows and headlight bulbs in? If they paint them afterwards, they would have to mask these items to avoid overspray.

1949 2R17
                      R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Maybe the red ones were for the Highway Department fleets.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Maybe the red ones were for the Highway Department fleets.
                          On Richard Quinn's original post of this great 1963/1964 pic we talked about how some single wheel Trucks were sold to U.S. Forest Service or Fire Service I believe, you can bet that is gloss top coat paint for whomever. [^] You can see the reflection on it.

The U.S. Army Trucks are tandem Dual wheel 6X6.

You later comers that are seeing this great photo for the first time, missed the best one of Richard's "Archive" Photos yet, the #5 (1964) one! []

It is amazing how fast they drop out of sight, it's already on Pg. 3 where it will be seldom viewed.

StudeRich
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That makes better sense. They look like they were ready for hard work. [^]

Comment

Working...
                            X