This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDC Platinum Plus Credit Card

By now I'm sure every member of SDC has received their invitation to sign up for a new "Visa Studebaker Driver's Club, Inc. Credit Card."

Am I the only one that takes offense to SDC selling our name for someone to market? And to a credit card company, as if I don't already get enough of these in the mail.

This is a great club, lets pay attention to what it's really all about.

Dick

P.S. Sorry, but it was just one credit card app. too many!

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

I have not received my invitation, but are you sure that it is not an affinity card where the club retains a portion of the income that the card issuer receives? When I was a member of the Oliver tractor club a number of years ago they offered such a card.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I have not received my invitation, but are you sure that it is not an affinity card where the club retains a portion of the income that the card issuer receives? When I was a member of the Oliver tractor club a number of years ago they offered such a card.

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Comment

Guido,

Yep, it says in the fine print they get a cut. I still would rather not have had my name passed out. That's not what I signed up for. There should be a way to opt out.

Yah, I know, big deal over nothing, but it still ticks me.

Dick

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Dick
        Mountain Home, AR

Comment

Guido,

Yep, it says in the fine print they get a cut. I still would rather not have had my name passed out. That's not what I signed up for. There should be a way to opt out.

Yah, I know, big deal over nothing, but it still ticks me.

Dick

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Dick
          Mountain Home, AR

Comment

Every institution is getting in on that. I got the same deal from my alma mater. I don't blame SDC for attempting to add to the coffer and, if it helps sustain the club and keeps the dues from creaping up, why not? Most of us have at least one credit card and, if the rate is good and there's no annual fee, why not carry one that says "SDC"?
            Use credit wisely.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            33 Rockne 10
            51 Commander Starlight
            53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Every institution is getting in on that. I got the same deal from my alma mater. I don't blame SDC for attempting to add to the coffer and, if it helps sustain the club and keeps the dues from creaping up, why not? Most of us have at least one credit card and, if the rate is good and there's no annual fee, why not carry one that says "SDC"?
              Use credit wisely.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              33 Rockne 10
              51 Commander Starlight
              53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Well, I would do it if the rate was good. but it's not great. I have a AAA Visa at a fixed 7.99 percent. It's been there for a couple years now and hopefully will hold a bit longer. The SDC card starts at 9.99% and the "preferred" members get started at almost 16%! I like this club, but I'm not going to pay extra interest when I don't have to. Sadly, I have to tear it up every time I get one.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Well, I would do it if the rate was good. but it's not great. I have a AAA Visa at a fixed 7.99 percent. It's been there for a couple years now and hopefully will hold a bit longer. The SDC card starts at 9.99% and the "preferred" members get started at almost 16%! I like this club, but I'm not going to pay extra interest when I don't have to. Sadly, I have to tear it up every time I get one.
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I get an average of 20 credit card invitations a week, with better interst rates than this Visa SDC card offer, all of which find thier way to the shredder. In recent years, every organization that I have had any kind of affiliation with, has sold my name to a credit card company [xx(]. I have gotten to the point that when I get the mail I head straight for the shredder [}].

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    51 Champion
                    Phil
                    Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    56 Power Hawk
                    Phil Hendrickson
                    Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I get an average of 20 credit card invitations a week, with better interst rates than this Visa SDC card offer, all of which find thier way to the shredder. In recent years, every organization that I have had any kind of affiliation with, has sold my name to a credit card company [xx(]. I have gotten to the point that when I get the mail I head straight for the shredder [}].

Studebaker Fever
                      60 Lark
                      51 Champion
                      Phil
                      Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                      60 Lark
                      56 Power Hawk
                      Phil Hendrickson
                      Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I suspect that the Board of Directors gave this serious thought before going ahead with the program, but here was a classic case where some sampling of membership would probably have produced a different outcome. SDC is very late to the party where affinity credit cards are concerned and the offer would need to be very competitive to get much of a response. It isn't competitive. Gives the organization a black eye.[B)]

51 Commander State Sedan
                        Worthington PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                        Butler PA

Comment

I suspect that the Board of Directors gave this serious thought before going ahead with the program, but here was a classic case where some sampling of membership would probably have produced a different outcome. SDC is very late to the party where affinity credit cards are concerned and the offer would need to be very competitive to get much of a response. It isn't competitive. Gives the organization a black eye.[B)]

51 Commander State Sedan
                          Worthington PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                          Butler PA

Comment

Now, if they could've negotiated a rate like 5.99% fixed, THEN there would be something to pat them on the back for.

Comment

Now, if they could've negotiated a rate like 5.99% fixed, THEN there would be something to pat them on the back for.

Comment

Working...
                              X