Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'47 rear window glass installation...how ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '47 rear window glass installation...how ??

Installing a rear glass is like installing a round peg in a square hole to this point. I've tried to install the used glass and old rubber all in one sweep as per the manual---which makes it sound so easy ( where is that engineer ? ). I've lubed the rubber and that still does not help. I am using the old rubber which suprisingly is still flexible. It's like there is too much rubber but I know it will go in. The rubber that goes inside is very wide and needs to to through the hole from the outside. The glass fits the rubber perfectly so it is the right glass. How to tips please.....................Brad

Some rubber goes from the inside out.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    42 Champ Coupe
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Actually, I think you'll find the front and rear glass and seal is removed to the inside of the car, and installed from the inside. Just backwards to what you're used to. Studebaker even sent these instructions from PPG to dealers in a service bulletin.

Dwain G.
      (We're not called 'hillbillies' any more....we're now Ozark Americans)!
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The way I did it on the bus. coupe. I took a nylon cord and wraped it around with a lot of baby oil. Have somebody on the inside of the car to hold it.Put the rubber on the center post first and then start pulling the string out as they push in. I started pulling at the bottom first. I really didn't have problem but it is diffently a 2 man job. Some others might have a better way but it worked for me. And don't break them I don't have anymore

Comment

It's easy, Pay a glass shop to do it! Buy new weatherstrip, and let the Pros do it! Call Collision Shops, go to car shows and ASK who does a good job.
          I took my 52 to the local glass shop, turned out, they are BIG into 57 Chevys, and knew what they were doing, I think Ted also took the Chickenhawk to them.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

As indicated above, the glass does install from the inside of the car. It is quite a project, but can be done. We did this 20 years ago when our '50 Champ was brought back to life. My wife wrote up the installation process we used. I believe it is too long to put here, but I'd be happy to forward the *.doc file if you email me.

Perry
            '23 Special Six,
            '50 Business Champ,
            '50 Starlight Champ,
            '60 Lark droptop,
            '63 GT
            Perry
            \'50 Business Champion
            \'50 Starlight Champion
            \'60 Lark Convertible,
            \'63 GT R1,
            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I install the glass and rubber seal similar to ST2DE5, I use a piece of small diameter nylon rope, either 1/8" or 3/16" my son-in-law inside holding the glass and seal in place with a little pressure (not to much, old glass can be brittle/fragile) I keep the lip of the rubber seal wet with glass cleaner, with the rubber seal lip started on the bottom, I pull the cord seating the rubber from the bottom up, around the entire glass. After everything is prepaired, it only takes a matter of minutes to actually get the glass and seal installed. The prep time is actually much longer than the install time. I like using the window or glass cleaner because it is so much easier to clean up after the glass is in place. I have used baby oil as ST2DE5 stated, but It is a mess to clean up after the fact. Just my Opinion

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              51 Champion
              Phil
              Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              56 Power Hawk
              Phil Hendrickson
              Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I like to use the Silicone paste. I got it at NAPA.

Comment

does all years install from th inside??? or at some point does this reverse and go from the outside. Asking for my 56 wagon front and back. Thanks

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                  Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I don't really like silicone any thing against the paint. Diffently under rubber. In my opinion silicone and paint don't get a long.

Comment

I am talking about silicone lubricant not sealer or adhesive.

Comment

quote:Posted - 02/03/2007 : 07:20:20 AM
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does all years install from th inside??? or at some point does this reverse and go from the outside. Asking for my 56 wagon front and back. Thanks
                        Later years were installed from the outside but I don't know when the change occured. I'm sure someone here will know.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

At least by 1953.
                          Klif

55 Speedster
                          42 Champ Coupe
                          55 Speedster/Street Machine
                          63 Avanti R2
                          64 Convertible R1

Comment

BTW, one of the advantages of Dot-5 Silicone Brake Fluid is that it will not harm the paint.

Comment

On my first post on this thread I should have said silicone clear gel lubricant instead of paste. My mistake,SORRY.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Working...
                              X