horns in 1952

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horns in 1952

Hey 52 owners...do the horns make a sound so wonderful that I would be missing out?
    I've never actually heard them.
    I've rewired my hot rod hardtop and a horn wire is a part of the system. I've heard the 6V horns are fine on 12V. But those 2 giant horns can no longer mount in the stock location. My fancy radiator is too far forward and I'm afraid they would block too much air. Plus these horns weigh a lot.
    I can get a tiny little 130db disk horn from JC whitney for $15 and mount it behind the grill. Problem solved. But I can't let go of the idea of using the stock horns.
    I bet they sound cool...?
    Any ideas on where to mount them that is NOT in fornt of the radiator?

I've seen pictures of horns mounted on the firewall, below the wiper motors, but I'm not sure what year that was. It was before 53 is all I know.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

The orignal wires are pretty frayed, but I think tonight I'll jump these to a 12V battery and see what happens.

Comment

I like the sound of the original horns, especially the day they decided to short out when
        I passed a beautiful lady walking down the street. How embarrassing, non stop honking.

Comment

I have had dual (hi/low) 6V horns on my 50 for 30 years. I really love the loud honk that they make. I have had one stop working on me and replaced it. I just had both stop working, but don't know if it is the horn or the relay or the switch by the button at this point.

I love the sound.

Comment

Here's where the horns are mounted on my 1950 Champion. This is an old picture. My engine compartment looks nicer now

I like their sound. I'm not a musician, but I think its a low C? Regardless, its a loud authoritative horn, much better than the squeaky horns that were on my 1950 Ford. They can also be tuned with the turn of a screw.

1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE
            John
            1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE

Comment

Oh Baby! The jumper cable test worked well, both horns work well and are LOUD in the garage.
              Thanks for the picture Lothar, same horns I have. Decent mounting spot, if I can avoid the HEI and an air cleaner.
              ...I ask now because I wanted to wrap the wires and get them tucked away. the horn wire is the only one where I cannot decide where it will be going.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lothar

Here's where the horns are mounted on my 1950 Champion. This is an old picture. My engine compartment looks nicer now

I like their sound. I'm not a musician, but I think its a low C? Regardless, its a loud authoritative horn, much better than the squeaky horns that were on my 1950 Ford. They can also be tuned with the turn of a screw.

1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE
                Those horns look like mine. I haven't heard them either yet. I have to completely rewire my car first.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

Working...
                X