Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son gets his first driving lesson... in a Lark!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son gets his first driving lesson... in a Lark!

Yesterday was the last day of my Christmas vacation, and I decided we should mark the occasion by giving my son, Reed, his first driving lesson (he'll be 15 in June). So we took Barney up to the local high school parking lot, and I instructed him on how to control the car. We spent about an hour making large rounded squares through the lot

I only took a couple of photos 'cause I didn't want to make him nervous, but here they are. He's trying his best not to smile [|)]

Barney's doing very well on the road, BTW. We had him idling and running at very slow speeds for an extended period of time yesterday, and the temp gage never rose above 2/3 - not bad for a 2-row radiator. I love driving this car!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Will he be able to take the test in sunny cal without seat belts?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Lets see you said a 15 year old! Maybe he would be smiling more if it had a big ole wing on the back and 4cyl under the hood with front wheel drive and a 5" exhaust can out the rear. Don't worry if hes like my 14year old he is smiling on the inside.

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Congrats on his first lesson. He looks awful happy inside, for sure. Hope you're "in" with the local police, or they don't happen to visit the parking lot next time. That lack of a smile outside may then be for a reason! I did the same with my daughter well before her temporary license, but now that I think about it, if we had been pulled over there may have been serious consequences for her getting her real license. Not sure I'd do as much of that again, even though I sure did it when I was that age. Today they are much less forgiving in court. Your car looks great, Clark. His first lesson will always be remembered in a very cool car.

Comment

Ya He's smileing from ear to ear,good thing you got the doors un-locked.

Joseph R. Zeiger
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Ya He's smileing from ear to ear,good thing you got the doors un-locked.

Joseph R. Zeiger
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Come on Clark that steering wheel has got to go, take a look at the one in my 63 standard..

make it easy to steer also.and plane Jane all the way..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
              canbstudebakers-
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Believe me, Bob, I agree! I hate that stupid Grant wheel. I have a new wheel and all the horn button parts to put it on - just have to install a new turn signal switch and that Grant will be gone faster than you can say Jack Sprat.

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Now that is cool. Cool Beans, even.

An eventual TW article maybe??

Seat belts. From '62 onward they put the lugs in for the front set irrespective of whether the car was ordered with them (my '62, when I got it, had no belts, but the lugs were there...and so was the dash decal saying Fasten Seat Belts...go figure!). I ordered repop belts from SI, as I prefer to belt in...am so used to it. That'd be the way to go if Reed wants to take his test at the wheel of Barney (whatever size and shape the wheel is!)...

Cheers

S.

Comment

Love it! My dad taught me to drive in our white, standard transmission '82 Toyota Corolla. He took me to the church parking lot for my lesson. As the car lurched around the lot, I remember thinking that my dad must have felt that one of us needed divine intervention... -Tracy

John and Tracy Smith
                    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

NEAT. My Dad had sold his Lark before it was my turn to learn to drive.
                      Your son is very lucky.

Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO
                      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                      Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO

Comment

Sweet! No better car...easy to see all 4 corners.

If you want to give him a good test, leave the Grant wheel in place and disconnect the power steering...when he can parallel park it with that leverage he can drive it for realz![)]

Andy
                        62 GT

Andy
                        62 GT

Comment

Power steering???! [:0] My friend, there is no power steering on this car. It's a Standard! The only factory option the buyers sprang for was the FOM! See if you've ever seen a build order as bare as this one:

That's why I want to put the factory wheel back on

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard

Comment

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Power steering???! [:0] My friend, there is no power steering on this car. It's a Standard! The only factory option the buyers sprang for was the FOM! See if you've ever seen a build order as bare as this one:

That's why I want to put the factory wheel back on

Clark in San Diego
                            They also sprang for a V8 engine.

<h5>Mark
                            '57 Transtar Deluxe
                            Vancouver Island Chapter
                            http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander

Comment

You are absolutely right Mark, they did PAY for the V-8, but technically not an option, since that model 63V-F2 started out as a V-8! []

That really IS bare! Only a Calif. required PCV (CV -crankcase ventilation) valve and Auto Trans, but it DID come with the Rose Mist Metallic paint and five tires and wheels though! [^]

And I am sure you know, if it were an option, it would be listed like a 289 engine would be in a non-Cruiser/Hawk, as an extra cost option.

That's IF, you want to split hairs, like Gary and I LOVE to do!

StudeRich
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X