hawk radiators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hawk radiators

I have a 64 Hawk that I disassembled several years ago to restore. The car was automatic and I am changing it to the 4 speed. I have misplaced the 64 radiator. I do have a rebuildable radiator from a 62, 4 speed Hawk. Are they the same radiators?[?]

Thanks again for any info
    Mark Plucenik

They were different, with the automatic radiator having transmission line coolant fittings. So the one your putting on should be fine, since its going to be a 4 spd. You can look in the opening for the cap and see if its standard (2 rows of cooling fins), or heavy duty (3 rows) Dan

Comment

The parts catalog lists the same radiator part number (1554341) for ALL Studebakers 1962-1964 EXCEPT for Police cars and Taxi cabs AND for 63-64 Hawks with AC or PowerShift.

Most 62-64 automatic cars had the air cooled Flightomatic, hence no transmission cooling in the radiator.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have a 64 Hawk. They are the same. Even if you purchase a radiator from a 1964 Cruiser, they were the same. There are no lines from my transmission to the radiator. Automatic is air cooled.

Comment

Thank you, I will have my old 62 recored with a 3 row HD core and have the heater core flushed and checked at the same time .

Mark

Comment

Yep, I was thinking of my Avanti-powered Hawk. They used the radiator with the coolant lines for the floor shift power shift transmission, as did the non Avanti-powered Hawks with power shift. Dan

Comment

Working...
            X