A couple of quick questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of quick questions...

I have just a couple of quick questions for y'all. First off, is there a factory floor shift setup for the 3 speed w/OD behind the old flathead sixes? I'm wondering; because I prefer a floor shift setup, but I don't want to get into the engineering of making a good linkage setup and such for my car. I have enough with making a console, rear firewall, chaning the front suspension to a coil over, front discs with big rear drums, ect ect...

Second, why is it that I get a car, and I get to watch the snow fall on it instead of at least clean it out and start doing measurments to see how much and what I'll need? This is the second time I've bought a classic car, and it snowed on me. :P Thanks in advance.

Guard: Where are you going in such a hurry?
    Gorrak the ranger: Uhhh...Gorrak have quiche in oven!!
    Guard: well hurry along.

1953 Champion 2 door Sedan
    2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

Having looked at lots of Studebakers, it seems to me that almost all Studebakers came with column shifts. Tha being said, I'm sure there are a few around, but I believe they would be scarce. Hurst made a floor shift conversion for early sixties Studes - I'm not sure where you'd find one.

This snow has caused problems for me too - not sure if its related to the purchase of your car. This is new weather cause and effect that I have not studied yet - I'm still working on stopping the rain after I have washed the car. (as well as the Caramilk problem)

Paul R

Comment

Having looked at lots of Studebakers, it seems to me that almost all Studebakers came with column shifts. Tha being said, I'm sure there are a few around, but I believe they would be scarce. Hurst made a floor shift conversion for early sixties Studes - I'm not sure where you'd find one.

This snow has caused problems for me too - not sure if its related to the purchase of your car. This is new weather cause and effect that I have not studied yet - I'm still working on stopping the rain after I have washed the car. (as well as the Caramilk problem)

Paul R

Comment

NO factory floor shift for 3-spd O/D cars.

Buy your "classic cars" anytime from May thru September if you reside in the norhtern hemisphere.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

NO factory floor shift for 3-spd O/D cars.

Buy your "classic cars" anytime from May thru September if you reside in the norhtern hemisphere.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There is a Anson floor shift set up for a Lark six ....I have a NOS one. If you'd like I can take a couple of pics for you. Anson was the company that made the 4 spd shifters first for Studebaker as well.

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
            1960 Lark 2dr
            1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

There is a Anson floor shift set up for a Lark six ....I have a NOS one. If you'd like I can take a couple of pics for you. Anson was the company that made the 4 spd shifters first for Studebaker as well.

1950 2R5
              1960 Lark 2dr
              1960 Champ
              1964 Daytona HT
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you, if you could post some pics, I'd appreciate it. I could probably make it work, and it'd be somewhat easier than making everything from scratch. At the least, I'll have a base line to go with when/if I put together my own setup. I just have a dislike of column shift setups for some reason, though I know it's not from any technical standpoint. I just don't like them. Having a shifter coming through my console will work for me.

This is the third classic vehicle I've bought. When I bought my Dart, it was snowed on once before I painted it, and once right afterwards. It looked real nice with a two tone white/blue though. The '69 Dodge got a healthy layer of snow right after I picked it up. It's ugly regardless, though. Now, my Stude has about an inch and a half on top of it. And one of the side windows has busted almost completely out. The thing is, this is Memphis. We usually get ice storms, not snow. In fact, it's snowed so many times in my life that I can count it on one hand. Ice storms on the other hand, are almost a yearly occurance. :P They happen whenever I want to actually do something. Oh well, I'll wait 5 mins. It'll change.

Comment

Thank you, if you could post some pics, I'd appreciate it. I could probably make it work, and it'd be somewhat easier than making everything from scratch. At the least, I'll have a base line to go with when/if I put together my own setup. I just have a dislike of column shift setups for some reason, though I know it's not from any technical standpoint. I just don't like them. Having a shifter coming through my console will work for me.

This is the third classic vehicle I've bought. When I bought my Dart, it was snowed on once before I painted it, and once right afterwards. It looked real nice with a two tone white/blue though. The '69 Dodge got a healthy layer of snow right after I picked it up. It's ugly regardless, though. Now, my Stude has about an inch and a half on top of it. And one of the side windows has busted almost completely out. The thing is, this is Memphis. We usually get ice storms, not snow. In fact, it's snowed so many times in my life that I can count it on one hand. Ice storms on the other hand, are almost a yearly occurance. :P They happen whenever I want to actually do something. Oh well, I'll wait 5 mins. It'll change.

Comment

Ok , went and dug out this Ansen shifter . The 1st pic is the entire shifter with both mounting brackets I have. The gold colored one is the one that came with it , which is for mounting on a six transmission and the black one thats hooked up to the shifter is for a V8 tranny . I made that one , basically copying the original one but to fit the V8 transmission bolt holes.
                    The second pic is the factory mounting bracket which has Ansen on it with "Lark OD " on it . It would fit on a regular 3 spd as well I figure. It mounts on the top 2 back bolts between the front of the tranny and the OD unit.
                    The 3rd pic is the floor plate with the shift pattern and Ansen on it . It isn't that clear because it still has its protective covering on it that you'd remove when installed to show a nice shiney stainless steel plate.
                    I bought this with the intentions of installing it in my Champ pickup someday. I had it mounted on a spare tranny I have and it sure shifts smooooooth One of these days ......
                    As mentioned before Ansen was the original producer of 4 spd floor shifters for Studebaker in the early ' 60s , so if someone says they never produced 3 spd floor shifters for use on Studebakers I think they need to be corrected. Mind you these were aftermarket units but they were available

1950 2R5
                    1960 Lark 2dr
                    1960 Champ
                    1964 Daytona HT
                    sigpic

Comment

Ok , went and dug out this Ansen shifter . The 1st pic is the entire shifter with both mounting brackets I have. The gold colored one is the one that came with it , which is for mounting on a six transmission and the black one thats hooked up to the shifter is for a V8 tranny . I made that one , basically copying the original one but to fit the V8 transmission bolt holes.
                      The second pic is the factory mounting bracket which has Ansen on it with "Lark OD " on it . It would fit on a regular 3 spd as well I figure. It mounts on the top 2 back bolts between the front of the tranny and the OD unit.
                      The 3rd pic is the floor plate with the shift pattern and Ansen on it . It isn't that clear because it still has its protective covering on it that you'd remove when installed to show a nice shiney stainless steel plate.
                      I bought this with the intentions of installing it in my Champ pickup someday. I had it mounted on a spare tranny I have and it sure shifts smooooooth One of these days ......
                      As mentioned before Ansen was the original producer of 4 spd floor shifters for Studebaker in the early ' 60s , so if someone says they never produced 3 spd floor shifters for use on Studebakers I think they need to be corrected. Mind you these were aftermarket units but they were available

1950 2R5
                      1960 Lark 2dr
                      1960 Champ
                      1964 Daytona HT
                      sigpic

Comment

Ah, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking to find. Am I correct in assuming that Studebaker used the same basic 3 speed /OD unit on their sixes throughout the 50's to the 60's, or did they switch to a different design after they went to the OHV six? That is the last stickler; if the transmissions are different, then I may have to tweak something still. Thanks again.

Comment

Ah, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking to find. Am I correct in assuming that Studebaker used the same basic 3 speed /OD unit on their sixes throughout the 50's to the 60's, or did they switch to a different design after they went to the OHV six? That is the last stickler; if the transmissions are different, then I may have to tweak something still. Thanks again.

Comment

This shifter will fit your early transmission.....good luck

1950 2R5
                            1960 Lark 2dr
                            1960 Champ
                            1964 Daytona HT
                            sigpic

Comment

This shifter will fit your early transmission.....good luck

1950 2R5
                              1960 Lark 2dr
                              1960 Champ
                              1964 Daytona HT
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X