front and rear windshield glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front and rear windshield glass

Can anyone out there give me some help. After a total rebuild, we are trying to re-install the front and rear glass and am getting nowhere. We have tried everything that the manual says except hitting it with rubber mallets as they suggest. I am scared to death that I will shatter the windshield. There must be a better way. Can anyone let me in on the trick to getting the windshield back in. I've been told that when I finshing that, to be forewarned that the rear glass is worse...Can anyone help me.....Many thanks

Year, model and body style please, there is a MAJOR difference between a '52 and a '53 & newer models and others. [:0]

On '53 & on, most models work well by soaping up the channel & installing the Stainless Mouldings FIRST, after installing windshield into rubber seal, then after sealant, installing the Assy. into the car.

Glass shops use a "one man" tool that is a cotter pin installer tool like a bent ice pick that is dulled.

It is ALWAYS best to let a Pro do the job, and that way the glass, if new is insured.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Claude, what's the vehicle? Some Stude's are more challenging than others for reinstalling glass.
      Having a helper is always a plus. Is the problem in seating the rubber against the body? Is stainless trim involved? I've used a rubber mallet, carefully of course, and the butt of the palm of your hand works too.
      Are you guys using the rope as the book suggests?
      Guys here have recommended using dish soap around the lip of the window opening to help the rubber seat properly and it's worked for me on several cars and a T-Cab.

Comment

On the windshields that I've installed, I always put everything on the glass, except in the r-series flat glass trucks, Then a strong string around the whole thing in the groove, with several two foot pieces looped over that. Fit the easiest part in first; either top or bottom. Then just pull the string starting from the area that is already fitted. That's what the extra looped pieces are for. Pulling the string pulls the inner lip over the channel. I don't use rope; I use very strong thick string; less than 1/8".

Comment

Claude; my answer (reply) to your email came right back with a failure notice, I have never seen an email address before ALL IN CAPS! But the incoming one worked!

Anyway here's the answer:

In answer to: It's a '54 Hardtop and "it will not seat properly"

I can't help you much from here, but is there ANY chance that this glass (you do not say if it is Front? or Rear?) is not from THIS car?

A Sedan front or rear, looks so much like a C or K that it can be mistaken for a Coupe/Hardtop. If you are using a replacement (never in this car) glass, it COULD be the wrong one and definitely will NOT fit!

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

On my Hawk I gave up after several hours of trying to get
            the front windshield in; I didn't even attempt the back
            glass since I had also heard it was
            even more difficult. I finally called a glass company;
            it took two guys using the method described in the
            manual plus a rubber mallet and the butt of their palms;
            they got the front glass in in about 15 minutes;(the stainless and rubber went on first(a little tricky itself) ...the rear glass took them 45 minutes; lots of pounding.... I think you have to have
            some experience in this area...

Good luck,

Joe D.

Comment

Installing glass is a real character builder. After I saw how the glass shop did my first car, I've been able to do 6 others. Key is to follow manual, particularity important is working slowly with the string around the perimiter of the glass, securing garnish, and holding rubber in place until it is seated properly. To hold the rubber and garnish in place, tie 3 or 4 narrow strings at 90 degrees to the windshield. Also the glass shop had two handy tools, one looks like a phillips screwdriver with a 90 degree bend (I bought one from mac for $16) and the glass shop gave me two flat plactic devices that looks like 1/4 inch thick, narrow ruler with one pointed end and one "chisel" shape end. I will send pic if you like. Also I have since learned that improperly stored glass can become out of shape. If this happens there is little that can be done.

Comment

That is correct, always store glass standing up, on it's bottom edge! [^]

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by CLAUDE023

Can anyone out there give me some help.
                  Claude. I am from Dothan. Would like to meet you and your car. I may be of help. I tried e-mailing you???? jimmijim 334-792-4323

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

On your 1954 Starliner, insert the glass into the rubber mouldings, put the stainless pieces into the rubber mouldings, treat the body channel of the rubber moulding with a soapy water solution, insert a heavy cord into the body channel opening of the rubber moulding with the ends overlapping at the bottom, put this assembly on the exterior of the car with the bottom in place on the windshield frame, while people apply pressure to the exterior pull the cord forcing the rubber moulding into place.
                    With that said, Good Luck!

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X