Big cap HEI on a SBC in a Stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big cap HEI on a SBC in a Stude?

Question; since clearances are tight between the firewall and the back of a V8 in a Stude sedan; is there any practical way to swap a older vacuum advance style HEI onto a SB Chevy? I suspect the smaller distributor from a 1987+ Chevy TBI setup would work but I would need to run the whole TBI shootin' match.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I'm not sure what you mean by "Stude sedan", but I know for sure with the '63 and up Larks...both the later cars with a stock Chevy V8 and the earlier ones using 65-66 front mounts...there is no (or little) problem.

Here's an HEI in my '63 with a Chevy...

The distributor went in BEFORE I bolted in the wiper motor. I have a feeling that the wiper motor MAY have to be removed to pull the distributor, but with an HEI it would need to come out maybe once every 10 years .

You could also use an early points type distributor. Convert it to Pertronix if you want. With that said, the HEI is SO good, so hot, so dependable, that I'd use that if you have one.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

If the in-cap coil HEI is to large try this. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8474/

Bob

Comment

Thank you, Dick!

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Maybe it is just my age showing; but, I prefer a simple carburetor hence the HEI query unless going with an overdrive AT i.e. a 700R4.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Comment

quote:Quoted from 1962larksedan

Maybe it is just my age showing; but, I prefer a simple carburetor hence the HEI query unless going with an overdrive AT i.e. a 700R4
          Maybe I'm confused but if you want to run an overdrive automatic tranny you can use a carb, as long as it's not the 4L60e. The 700R4 OR 4l60 as the later ones are known have their shifting controlled by the TV cable from the tranny to the carb while lockup can be controlled by a TCI lockup kit for $75. Same with the 200R4's. In fact, even the E series have controllers available for More Bucks.

My 83 Avanti 200R4 is controlled like that. No computer.

Most aftermarket Dissy companies make smaller HEI's, they just mount the coil externally.

Bob

Comment

HEI fit right in my '59 Lark with a 355 Chevy, in fact, the Weiand supercharger fits under the hood with a little trimming on the carb dual inlet hat. Just had to remove the hood brace and use two prop rods.

'59 Lark hardtop w/355 blown sbc
            Dogs are a man's best friend. Just ask my Dachshunds!

Comment

Relark.Lets see a picture of that motor! Here is mine:

I need to figure out a different hood scoop since mine has a serious issue that cannot be simply fixed. So time for another hood and whatever looks good.

Comment

A blower under the hood. Schweet.

Comment

Hi Champ Trucking, I'm having a difficult time downloading pix to the forums. Many e-mails back and forth to the very patient administrator are helping me to get this problem solved. Once done, I'll post it as a topic, "Hidden blower under the hood"......

'59 Lark hardtop w/355 blown sbc, 700R4, 8.8" rear w/ 3.73 gears

Dogs are a man's best friend. Just ask my Dachshunds!

Comment

Excellent!Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X