V-8 in a 1950 car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-8 in a 1950 car

Hello, folks, a fellow is interested in my Studebaker parts because he is buying a 1950 Champion. He wants to know if one of my V-8 engines and trannys will be hard to install. Since 51 had a V-8, I can't imagine it would be too complicated to put one in a 50, but I told him I would ask the experts before he made a deal with me that he couldn't use. Can someone shed a bit of info on this one? If it was me who has put some unreasonable big engines in things that really didn't need them, it would be a neat challenge, but he is apparently not ready for a major job if that is what it would be. Thanks so much, John

John, That is a tough job. If it were a 1951, I would tell you to go for it. I have seen street rodders put thier sbc. They also put a fatman front section. I would not do it. You do not have enough brakes for a V8. If you had 1950 commader, I would say that is possible. The frame on Commander is far stronger than a 1950 champion. But I hope someone else can expand on this.

Comment

He needs to purchase a 1950 Commander Starlight. Just so happens, I have one for sale. It needs restoration.

Comment

What Roy says is true. With the introduction of the V8 in 1951 - the firewall and everything forward of it changed - frame and suspension included. It will be ANYTHING BUT easy to fit a Stude (or any other kind of)V8 in it.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Allright !! This is fast response. I will tell him when I call him that the best thing to do is fix her up as is. Trying to get him to join SDC, perhaps he will see inspirations and keep it "sixed". Thanks very much, John

Comment

The forum is ripe with ways to hop up the six. There are turbos, multiple carbs, headers, etc. Hit the search feature and see what comes up. Also, Cathcart does, and has a lot of speed parts for this engine. Happy motoring. And happy New Year!

Comment

I have never owned a '50 Champion, but did they not have four bolt wheels?

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Yes, they did.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I don't know about the Champ but my 1950 2R-C2 pickup has a Chevy 350, turbo 350 in it. Motor mounts and a custom built trans cross member is all it took and its even got column shift.... Oh, and a Ford 8" with a custom drive shaft.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Carlos Murphy

I don't know about the Champ but my 1950 2R-C2 pickup has a Chevy 350, turbo 350 in it. Motor mounts and a custom built trans cross member is all it took and its even got column shift.... Oh, and a Ford 8" with a custom drive shaft.
                    No comparison in chassis and front suspension between the car and the pickup in 1950.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X