Differences 62 Deluxe vs. Regal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences 62 Deluxe vs. Regal

I was looking at the pics of my new purchace (can't stop looking) and I noticed the cowl tag says F4. According to automotive history online the F4 signifies a 62 Deluxe. The P.O. refers to it as a Regal, I know it obviuosly is trim oriented, but what were the major differences between the two models?

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

John, I'm not with my parts books, but here's a site. Not sure of its accuracy, though:

The later reversal of the Deluxe and Regal levels always confuses me until reminded. The '62s were the same as my year, IIRC. (?)

Comment

Regal means more Stainless trim. Deluxe=Plain Regal=Bling. Thats how I remember but could be mistaken.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Studebaker didn't make a Regal 2 door sedan in '59-'62...or any other 2 door sedan. Only the entry level Deluxe (F4).

In 63, the F4 body was renamed Regal. In 64 it was renamed again to Commander.

In 63 and 64 there was a new entry level 2 door sedan body, the F2 (Standard in '63 and Challenger in '64).

In 63 there was a higher end 2 door sedan, F6...Custom.

(no wonder Studebaker went out of business )

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

F-2 rules only way to go, to bad every one can't have one, only so many made, we that have them are lucky, just my opinion.....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
          canbstudebakers-
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

I was looking at the pics of my new purchace (can't stop looking) and I noticed the cowl tag says F4. According to automotive history online the F4 signifies a 62 Deluxe. The P.O. refers to it as a Regal, I know it obviuosly is trim oriented, but what were the major differences between the two models?

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.
            A 1962 Deluxe two door (F4) is a sedan. A 1962 Regal two door (J6) is a hardtop.
            That is the "major differences", the complete body shell.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Odd that the purchase order has it as a Regal for an F4. Where does it say that on it? In '63, was there an F6? Again, not near by books.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Odd that the purchase order has it as a Regal for an F4. Where does it say that on it? In '63, was there an F6? Again, not near by books.
                There was an option called a 'Regal Kit' that lumped many trim options into one package. Some would include horn bar/extensions, rh sunvisor, front & rear window stainless trim, rear armrests, etc. All those trim items were standard on the Regal models; though I'm not sure if it included the cigar lighter that year or not. A 'Regal kit' option package was not unusal on 1962 2-door sedans, since as has been stated previously, there was no true Regal model available in that body style for that year.

Craig

Comment

As Dick S. posted, the names change between 1962 and 1963 models.

If your "it" is a 1963, F4 is a Regal two door sedan. In 1963 there WAS an F6, it is a Custom two door sedan. There were also F2 Standard two door sedan and F3 Heavy Duty two door sedan.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The only year there was an F6 was '63. As Gary notes, it was called the Lark Custom 2-door Sedan. It has the bright trim on the side window and upper door posts, and the 'check mark' trim on the rear quarter a la '62 Daytonas. The "Stude Tomato" is an F6, as is the white Lark in the farthest lane on the cover of the January 2010 TW.
                    The white Lark in the other lane is an F4 ('63 Lark Regal 2-door Sedan).

The only thing I can think of in the production order of John's car, is that it has the "Regal Kit". I could be mistaken though.
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
                    '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Here is a link to the web site I was getting the info from.

This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

It clearly shows 62 Deluxe and Regal I'll take your words over theres though. It also shows the Deluxe being 110lbs. lighter than the Regal, all the better for drag racing.[}]

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

There was no cataloged 1962 F6 trim level 2 door sedan available to the public. Period.

Frank Drumheller
                        Louisa, VA
                        60S-W6
                        1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied firetruck

Comment

It clearly shows 62 Deluxe and Regal I'll take your words over theres though. It also shows the Deluxe being 110lbs. lighter than the Regal, all the better for drag racing.[}]

That chart is correct. It DOES NOT show a regal 2 door sedan body (F body). It shows only the F4 (deluxe) as well as an F3 (taxi).

It does show a Regal in the hardtop, 4 door sedan, station wagon and convertible and that is correct. NO regal 2 door sedan.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

The P.O. refers to it as a Regal

P.O. meaning previous owner, sorry for the mix up. Anyhow my car is definatly a Deluxe not a Regal. Also It must have been late when I was looking at that site, i never even noticed the Regal being a Hard Top.

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark

Odd that the purchase order has it as a Regal for an F4. Where does it say that on it? In '63, was there an F6? Again, not near my books.

Originally posted by studegary
                              As Dick S. posted, the names change between 1962 and 1963 models.

If your "it" is a 1963, F4 is a Regal two door sedan. In 1963 there WAS an F6, it is a Custom two door sedan. There were also F2 Standard two door sedan and F3 Heavy Duty two door sedan.

Gary, my "it" was what I mistakenly inferred from John's first post, the "Regal" being on the 1962 "P.O.", but I now see he just meant the '62's previous owner. Sorry for the confusing post, I just wondered about the '63 change to the F6 body trim after the first question.

Comment

Working...
                              X