Lost Speedster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Speedster

I would like to post this again for those that may have missed it when last posted in September.

I am trying to locate a 1955 Studebaker Speedster that was once in my
    family. My grandfather bought it in 1957 from the original owner here in Ohio. It was in our family until the early 1980's. My brother moved to Sacramento and had the car shipped to him. His intention was to restore it. When after replacing many parts, he got tired of working on it and didn't want to put the time or efforts into a total restoration and he traded it to someone for a 1965 Mustang. The rest of us in the family were really bummed out about this. It was in very good shape, aside for underside rust from sitting in a damp garage. Beautiful green and yellow color scheme.
    I am trying to locate this car to see if I might possibly buy it from the current owner.
    Here are the identification numbers I have: VIN: 7162908 Body: 6H-K71134 Engine: P-14064. I looked in the only Studebaker registry I could find but, only found it's close sibling, 1135. A national search of all the BMV's would be really the best, but obviously not practical.
    Thanks much for any ideas you might share with me to locate it.

JMP

JMP
    JMP

If you are not already a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club, you should join. There are some members that don't get on the net so you are missing some potential leads there. It is a rediculous cheap membership fee and you get a free ad in the monthly TW magazine. You could post in there to get more eyes looking. Good luck with you hunt.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

Comment

John, are there any 0's missing on your VIN? Maybe before or after the numb er you posted?

Doug
      Venice, Florida
      1950 Champion
      9G F1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Invalid User Name

John, are there any 0's missing on your VIN? Maybe before or after the numb er you posted?

Doug
        The "VIN" number shown, "7162908" is a correct Serial Number for a 1955 President (including Speedster) built in South Bend. It is about two-thirds through the run.

Edited for one letter typo

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You're right Doug, in that I really should join the club. More exposure in my hunt for the Speedster and more Studebaker comraderie for me.
          And yes, the VIN is correct.
          Thanks for the input from you and Gary. Every little bit helps.
          Wishing you all a Great New Year!
          John

JMP
          JMP

Comment

My son is a private detective and has access to dmv records in 19 states. He couldn't find that number but found one close to it with 0's in front of it. There are sites that will look thru DMV record, but they cost way more than SDC dues and the give no guarantee.

Doug
            Venice, Florida
            1950 Champion
            9G F1

Comment

My son is a private detective and has access to dmv records in 19 states. He couldn't find that number but found one close to it with 0's in front of it.
              I wonder if those zeros are filler numbers to make it 17 digits, which has been the international standard for vehicle identification numbers since 1981. In some cases, the empty boxes must have character of some sort inserted to make a search work properly.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

My son is a private detective and has access to dmv records in 19 states. He couldn't find that number but found one close to it with 0's in front of it.
                I wonder if those zeros are filler numbers to make it 17 digits, which has been the international standard for vehicle identification numbers since 1981. In some cases, the empty boxes must have character of some sort inserted to make a search work properly.

Craig
                Craig, I was going to suggest that very thing. I think if were me I would be very interested in that particular lead.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

So far it's a dry well. He put 0's at the front and back of the number and still no exact match. He is going to ask one of his mentors when he gets back from vacation. Meanwhile I'll keep looking too. This has gotten my curiosity up.

Doug
                  Venice, Florida
                  1950 Champion
                  9G F1

Comment

Working...
                  X