Success - almost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success - almost

I got up at 5 am this morning because I just couldn't sleep knowing that I had a full day to work on my Champion. It has been 3 years since it was last on the road. due to brake problems and a workload that would kill a horse I just let it sit in the garage. I had put Sta-bil in the gas tank but didn't really expect it to run after all these years. I made a quick trip to NAPA for a filter, some oil and a new 6 volt battery. The battery box needed major cleaning so that set me back about an hour. I got the oil & filter changed and the new battery charged so I thought I would try to start it so I wouldn't have to tow it back to the workshop. To my amazement it started and ran. Actually it ran quite smooth for a couple of minutes. I shut it off and got everything out of the way so I could drive it around the house. When I came back I noticed a puddle under the front of the car. It was gasoline. The fuel pump had turned into a fuel sprayer. The car is now sitting back in the garage waiting for a new fuel pump. I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed. I know cars that have had the engine freeze up sitting for that long of time. Of course none of them were Studebakers.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

oo, oo, only a fuel pump. So near, so exciting. varoom.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Congrats and good luck. I have a similar project I need to look at over winter, A 62 Lark 2dr that has 47,000 miles that I kelped in storage the last 5 years, and thankfully the motor is not froze but fuel brakes and battery are an issue

Tom

sigpic

Comment

I've had 4 or 5 vehicles with either fuel pump issues or plugged fuel lines that sat for a long time and I simply wanted to move them so I took a poly fuel tank form a riding lawnmower and tied it to the inner fender of the vehicle, then ran a fuel line from the tank directly to the carburetor inlet and let the fuel gravity feed. It works very well although I had one pickup that had the float stuck in the open position so the engine flooded with gas. I drove an International truck a half mile to my house using this method without any problems.

S o
        T hey
        U sed
        D elco
        E lectronics
        B efore
        A utolite
        K ept
        E verything
        R unning?

1949 2R17
        R is for Rusty

In the middle of Minnesota
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Sorry about your leak, you might be better off looking for a kit to rebuild the pump you have as opposed to a new pump that might not
          work. Look for alcohol compatible if the vendor has that information

Comment

Working...
          X