Clear All

• Snow Larks

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Studebaker Diners Club

I want one... Or 50...[8D]

Chris Dresbach
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Wish I could walk that lot right now and document all the exterior/interior combos and the what-if factory installed options, not to mention the ability to squirrel away one of each body style!
      The date of this winter picture has always confused me. They look like all 1959 models except for what appears to be a Regal Red with tan top convertible on the front of the car hauler. We have been led to believe two tones weren't available, unless that's a tan topped hardtop. Maybe this was taken in late '59 with left over '59 stock after the new '60 models were introduced. Any idea on the date? Great moment in time picture, love that one.

Comment

I am pretty sure it's a '59 Hardtop, it may have been special ordered with a Gray roof, it matches the light gray ones and is NOT snow. [^]

Zooming in as much as I can without losing all clarity, it's seems to have the sharp kick up, rear fender moulding (simulated fin), the '59 Parking light housings and the Studebaker script which is clearly longer than a Lark VI or VIII.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And, there's at least one C-Cab hanging out in the crowd! [8D][]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island Chapter
          http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

WOW!! Sensory overload!!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

And, there's at least one C-Cab hanging out in the crowd! [8D][]
              There's also an Alaskan Blue C Cab just ahead of the goldish-colored one. My truck was originally Alaskan Blue and was built on 12-11-1958. Wonder if that's my truck?

Matthew Burnette
              Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

They aren't too neatly arranged to expedite loading. The cars in the foreground were put into place after the snow.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This a great picture!And also was a very positive time to work at Studebaker,glad I have a few early Larks.Ed

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich

I am pretty sure it's a '59 Hardtop, it may have been special ordered with a Gray roof, it matches the light gray ones and is NOT snow. [^]

Zooming in as much as I can without losing all clarity, it's seems to have the sharp kick up, rear fender moulding (simulated fin), the '59 Parking light housings and the Studebaker script which is clearly longer than a Lark VI or VIII.

You may be right, Rich, but you must have a government satellite power zoom to distinguish the detail on those turn signal housings and lack of two more letters with a space between them on that fender from a copy of an original film print. [:0] I see the rear quarter roof line going backward like a tan convertible top would and not jutting back forward as all of those hardtops do in that shot. Big difference. Doesn't look like any of the gray colors I see in the rest of that lot, either, it looks tan to me (the convert tops only came in tan or black) which could still be a custom paint job, I guess. I've never seen a purchase order with a factory special order two tone paint job on an early Regal Lark with white walls, or any '59 Lark. Thought that wasn't factory offered, only dealer... maybe. I might buy that a fleet car would have been ordered that way in the first year of production. But...we never say never here for regular customer satisfaction, right? Special order 289s, leather seats, EC generators, floor shifters. They've all shown up here on the Forum to refute the literature options. Who knows?

The only thing that has me doubting the convertible vs. hardtop theory is the grill badge looks placed on the left. Could be an early '60 placement, but I sure can't see if it's a Hawk, or a Lark emblem. It's barely a dot of pixels. That's why that picture has always made me wonder. The cars in front are clearly '59s, but who the heck can see any of the detail in the back cars with confidence? Not on my Mac, anyway. I still would love to have a framed blow up of that picture. It's very cool. [8D]

Comment

It might be fun when at a National show to get all of the Studebakers together of a specific year (all 1959 for example) and recreate a photo similar to this (minus the snow . However, I suppose it's unlikely that a show would get more than a dozen Studebakers of a specific year whereas this particular photo must have at least 50 Studes in it. Just a random thought....[B)]

So
                      They
                      Used
                      Delco
                      Electronics
                      Before
                      Autolite
                      Kept
                      Everything
                      Running?

R is for Rusty
                      In the middle of Minnesota
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

It might be fun when at a National show to get all of the Studebakers together of a specific year (all 1959 for example) and recreate a photo similar to this (minus the snow . However, I suppose it's unlikely that a show would get more than a dozen Studebakers of a specific year whereas this particular photo must have at least 50 Studes in it. Just a random thought....[B)]

So
                        They
                        Used
                        Delco
                        Electronics
                        Before
                        Autolite
                        Kept
                        Everything
                        Running?

R is for Rusty
                        And just to add to the realisticness of the photo, everybody would have to remove their hub caps.[?][B)]

Chris Dresbach
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

I didn't realize that they came new with body color wheels that year. When did they make off-white the standard color for wheels? What was the reason for shipping them without the hubcaps/wheelcovers installed? To prevent theft or damage during transport? Are the caps/covers likely in the trunk? I also noticed the sidewalls of the tires as some are a wide whitewall and some blackwall. When were narrow whitewalls available as an option?

S o
                          T hey
                          U sed
                          D elco
                          E lectronics
                          B efore
                          A utolite
                          K ept
                          E verything
                          R unning?

1949 2R17
                          R is for Rusty

sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I didn't realize that they came new with body color wheels that year. When did they make off-white the standard color for wheels? What was the reason for shipping them without the hubcaps/wheelcovers installed? To prevent theft or damage during transport? Are the caps/covers likely in the trunk? I also noticed the sidewalls of the tires as some are a wide whitewall and some blackwall. When were narrow whitewalls available as an option?

S o
                            T hey
                            U sed
                            D elco
                            E lectronics
                            B efore
                            A utolite
                            K ept
                            E verything
                            R unning?

1949 2R17
                            R is for Rusty

Not sure about the all white wheels part, but the hub caps were put on by the dealer when they got the car. They were shipped with them off to prevent theft and beacuse a hub cap can get scratched or bent easily. As for tires, I think that was just a factory option.

Chris Dresbach
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

I didn't realize that they came new with body color wheels that year. When did they make off-white the standard color for wheels? /CUT/I also noticed the sidewalls of the tires as some are a wide whitewall and some blackwall. When were narrow whitewalls available as an option?
                              Sometimes it is hard for some of us who were around when these cars were new, to understand others non-knowledge of things in the 1960's, but I guess that is because not ALL Stude. owners are ancient and we don't know who they are!

Most '53 to '60 Studes. (that would be except the early years when Black cars never had Black wheels, but Red) they were body color.
                              '61's were Aluminum Silver, '62 and on was when they started the Tusk Ivory (Beige) wheels.
                              About the only exception I know of was the one-off 1958 14 in. wheels that were bought from Budd Wheel, in slightly off-white and not re-painted.
                              That's if you discount all the custom ordered special paint fleet vehicles, which were not sold to the public.

Narrow white walls were installed when the Tire Mfg. started making them, that would be for year model 1963.

All of the cars would not have white walls since, they were an extra cost option, but usually the top of the line models (in '59-'61 -Regals, Cruisers & Hawks) were ordered with White Walls and Wheel Covers. [^]

StudeRich
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X