Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help identifying this hood ornament.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying this hood ornament.

This hood ornament came on a hood I bought, I think it is Oldsmobile, but I am not sure, but I don't think it is Studebaker.

Alex Nelsen, 15 year old Studebaker nut.
    1954 Champion Coupe
    Lizella, GA
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Olds jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

does anyone know what this is?

Alex Nelsen, 15 year old Studebaker nut.
      1954 Champion Coupe
      Lizella, GA
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

I really don't think it is Olds, may be aftermarket. Whatever it IS, it does not belong on a nicely styled car like a Starlight Coupe! Just get rid of that piece! [xx(]

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That fits too good to be another brand. Maybe it WAS a colobration of other hood ornaments and made to custom fit that hood. Whatever it is, it dosent belong there.[?]

Chris Dresbach
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

That's actually a Whiz-O-Matic Cheese Slicer. In Wisconsin people used to hang cheese in their garages. When they pulled the car in they would slice off a piece automatically and be ready for lunch. It was a great invention but was removed from the market because too many people were injured while washing their cars. Prior to its removal from the market the Wisconsites ate so much cheese that they developed gastic problems. This is where the phrase "cut the cheese" came from.

Doug
            Venice, Florida
            1950 Champion
            9G F1

Comment

Actually, I think it is a 1950 olds ornament.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Jeff mentioned Warshawsky's, but for those that don't know, that firm sold all sorts of aftermarket car stuff for years via catalog. If I remember right, they were outta Chicago. Jeff will know. They had ALL SORTS of gadgets, gizmos and glitzy trinkets to hang on your car - as well as mechanical stuff too. They actually started out as a used parts place - then started offering new parts as well.
                Along the way, the name was changed to J.C.Whitney and they're still around today![^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

1950 Olds.

Personal Website - 1950 Studebaker Retro-Rod Project

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports

This hood ornament came on a hood I bought, I think it is Oldsmobile, but I am not sure, but I don't think it is Studebaker.
                    I think that's the rare one-off hood ornament that was designed and slated to go on this 1954 Olds. It was lost before being installed and now it is finally found.

I am in the process of getting parts and pieces gathered up for the May 2010 South Bend Swap meet. How about you?

Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia
                    Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff.

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jerry Forrester

Man! That thing is beautiful! [] They should have built that instead of the Corvette it resembles! [^] With an Olds power train, it would have went like a real ROCKET, instead of a sled like the Corvette!

Some bean counter must have decided it would be worth more $$ to help enhance the bigger selling bread and butter Chevrolet line, instead of Grandapas's Oldsmobiles! So they proceeded to cheapen it! [xx(]

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The above car F88 concept car cousin to the Corvette Proto and Pontiac Bonneville. The Pontiac resides in the Joe Bortz auto collection. Check out {G.M. Futurliner} website jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

J.C.Whitney has their warehouse/sales building along I-80 in the LaSalle, Illinois area. Any one with the exact adress, jump in.

Richard

Comment

I have been to their retail store in Lasalle. It's very handy to I-80 and visible from it. But it's actually kind of a disappointing place to browse through.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                            X