X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want skytop lark

looking for a driver or easy resto project w/factory sunroof
    415 2971226

These cars are very tough to find and do not come cheap.

57 & 58 Packards and Larks

Comment

AND... I have never seen one that rare, put to the task of daily driver! Certainly NOT in the last 20 years, and definitely NOT now!

There cannot be 20-25 in driving condition IF that, on the planet! [] [^] And that includes [u]ALL</u> of them: '61, '62 and '63! [:0]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

AND... I have never seen one that rare, put to the task of daily driver! Certainly NOT in the last 20 years, and definitely NOT now!

There cannot be 20-25 in driving condition IF that, on the planet! [] [^] And that includes [u]ALL</u> of them: '61, '62 and '63! [:0]

StudeRich
        This reminds me of something I don't think I ever posted here. Maybe five months ago, the grandson of the original owner of my '63 Skytop emailed me--had seen the car on the Studebaker Skytop website (www.studebakerskytop.com) with mention of the original owner's name. He wanted to buy the car for his grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary coming up. I really was not in a position to want to sell it then (although might in a couple years when daughter Kelsey needs college $$!). I threw out an admittedly-high price and the grandson said politely, no thanks. Maybe a month later, I get an email from the grandfather himself (original owner, now age 73) wanting to buy the car if I could come down a bit on price! He lives now in Phoenix and wanted to sell one of their daily drivers and use the Skytop as a daily driver! He had never had an old car before. I politely told him the downsides of an old car as a daily driver--felt I owed it to him to at least mention them--and even my reduced price was more than he wanted to pay (still I was on the high side I think), and he got wondering about the daily-driver thing.

He said he and his wife would be back east in 2010 and would like to swing by and at least see the Skytop. I told him they'd be most welcome here, but if he comes I am calling the local paper 'cause I think it's a neat story. They traded the car in in around '66 on a new Ford wagon...they outgrew the Lark.

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
        '64 Daytona Hardtop

(edited for spelling)
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Thanks for a great story Bill.

Doug
          Venice, Florida
          1950 Champion
          9G F1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
            I drove mine every day (84 miles round trip on interstates) for about a 18 months, until my wife bought a new Edge earlier this year (then her Durango got filtered down to my youngest son, and I got my '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee back&lt;G&gt. Even remember driving it in the snow which is a rarity in NC.

One good thing about daily driving is that it spurred me to fix the little minor things that you don't worry about in "once-and-a-while" driving, but bug the heck out of you when driven daily.

So, the car is no worse for wear and tear, and actually is in better shape due to the minor repairs.

Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I know 4 Skytop owners, plus the one I have. I am not willing to sell mine. I just got it last June. I will send you a private email. I know of one for sale in Colorado.

57 & 58 Packards and Larks

Comment

I guess I was way ahead of Skytop time. I bought a 22,000-mile '63 Daytona hardtop skytop in DC in the mid-80s for $100. It was pretty rusty (though it did have new front fenders), the interior vinyl was poor and it had been sitting for a long time. I got it running and driving pretty easily. Took it to the Indianapolis International Meet- couldn't sell it for $800. Took it to York- couldn't sell it for $500. Finally sold it to Chuck Naugle for $200. He took it to AZ just to cut off the Skytop- scrap the rest.
                It was a strange car- red with black and white interior Daytona hardtop, but was a six, three speed (no overdrive), only option was a Climatizer (small hubcaps, still had the original 6.00x15 blackwalls.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Ben Rew in Florida has a red '63 Daytona HT Skytop. He drives it everywhere. In 2007, he put 20K miles on the clock including a drive from FL to South Bend for the national meet. He owns a paint/body shop and gives it a fresh coat of Regal Red every few years.

It's a very nice car that he isn't afraid to drive. After all.. That's what they're for.

Matthew Burnette
                  Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

A local guy has a Nova with one of those tops. It was a factory option, and being a Chevy, it's easier to find parts for it. Looking at it in person it's quite a bit different from the Golde top Stude used. Still, it's adaptable... anything can be done

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k

I guess I was way ahead of Skytop time. I bought a 22,000 '63 Daytona hardtop skytop in DC in the mid-80s for $100. It was pretty rusty (though it did have new front fenders), the interior vinyl was poor and it had been sitting for a long time. I got it running and driving pretty easily. Took it to the Indianapolis International Meet- couldn't sell it for $800. Took it to York- couldn't sell it for $500. Finally sold it to Chuck Naugle for $200. He took it to AZ just to cut off the Skytop- scrap the rest.
                      It was a strange car- red with black and white interior Daytona hardtop, but was a six, three speed (no overdrive), only option was a Climatizer (small hubcaps, still had the original 6.00x15 blackwalls.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

I have a Studebaker News dealer magazine from '63 (not handy; I'll have to look for it to get the exact month) where Studebaker gave away several Daytona Skytops as prizes. The photos showed all to have blackwalls and dog-dish hubcaps. I have to wonder, Paul, if yours was one of the prize cars. It's hard to imagine that anybody would order a strippo with Skytop.

Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                      '64 Daytona Hardtop
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

The 62 Skytop 4dr. I sold to Joe B. last summer was a V8 3-spd/ no O/D, base interior, no radio, small caps- no extras except deluxe door panels... And the Skytop[:0]

Still, plain Jane or not, it's a sweet car[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I hope to have enough money saved up for when Bill Presler decides to sell his car. I'd rather drive that than my '63 Hawk as I think the '63 Daytonas fit my personality better. [8D]

Lark ala mode
                          In the middle of Minnesota
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

There's the Daytona Skytop here in Visalia. I could have bought it four times over just a decade ago. It was one of those situations where when I WANTED to buy it - it wasn't for sale. Then when I'd decided against it - it WAS for sale. Finally, a friend bought it after I told him where it was, on a bottom-dollar used car lot. Ever since then it's been stuck it in his garage. It's been hiding there ever since. And I'd bet a buck to StudeDude's donut, that it'll never take to the road until it belongs to someone else one day.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

There's the Daytona Skytop here in Visalia. I could have bought it four times over just a decade ago. It was one of those situations where when I WANTED to buy it - it wasn't for sale. Then when I'd decided against it - it WAS for sale. Finally, a friend bought it after I told him where it was, on a bottom-dollar used car lot. Ever since then it's been stuck it in his garage. It's been hiding there ever since. And I'd bet a buck to StudeDude's donut, that it'll never take to the road until it belongs to someone else one day.
                              Bob, don't you know- he's going to restore it some day (I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard that)?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X