Floor coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor coating

I was just wondering if anybody had ever used herculiner or any other product like it to put on the floor of their cars after they have repaired their floorpans.I know alot of ppl use por15 but I was just curious if anybody has.I'm on 4x4 forums alot and a bunch of ppl use truck bed coatings on those and they seem to have good results.I know Studes aren't 4x4 but it would seem to me that the thicker coating would also help in killing road noise as well.Plus I've already got a full gallon of TB coating just sittin around left over from helpin a friend on his truck

I coated the floors in my '58 Commander with Herculiner. The car's window seals leak so I wasn't going to put carpet in. Floors are solid, but I wanted something to look at besides the surface rust. So, Herculiner is what I used. And after 9 months of so of daily driving, it has held up very well.

The worst part is, dirt likes to "stick" to it.

Matthew Burnette
    Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

I like the spray in bedliner stuff myself though others here disagreed when I said that last time. I have used it for that purpose successfully and it seems to be holding up well so far (5-6 years) Steve

sigpic

Comment

The stuff I stripped out of my car was easily 3/16" thick and I would like at some point to replace it with a similar product so I'll be watching this thread to see what you come up with.

Dean.

Comment

The bed in my 1982 El Camino is lined with a rubbery bedliner coating, but it is lifting up in places. Perhaps the floor wasnt scuffed enough prior to applying the stuff.

Lark ala mode
          In the middle of Minnesota
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Yeah,you gotta make sure you scoff it up good.I need to hurry up and get something put on it cause I got the same problem that MBSTUDE has with the window seals and since I just redid the floor I'd hate to see it start rusting again.

Comment

If you want to use a bedliner/undercoating, you still need to prime your floor. The bedliner will protect it, but not totally seal it. Here is a link to our website. Go to the photo gallery, there is a folder for the 53 Champion we are doing. We did the inside and underside with it, and then sprayed it body color to match.

Comment

I checked out the pics of the 53 and I think I'm gonna go ahead with the liner.I hadn't really thought about doing the hood and engine area with it or the inner fenders but that's a good idea too.From the pics it looks like you covered everything.How much did it take to do the 53.I'll be useing the black liner on mine.I've got 1 gallon.Can't beat a freebie.For those who already have TBC how has it improved road noise?How well does it hold up under the hood with the heat?

Comment

You need more than primer under it. Primer is not water proof and in fact will retain water.

I would scuff and clean it, then por15, scuff it again then the bed coating.

The bed coat helps a lot with road noise and heat from the floors, have never exposed it to engine/ehaust heat though.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                  http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh yea, I did the firewall and inner fenders (engine bay) on my '59 pickup with the stuff too. Maybe it'll hold up better than paint.

Matthew Burnette
                    Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

While I'm thinking about it,has anybody ever used Klean Stripe rust convertor.I got some of that too,also freebieI know you can buy the stuff at wallyworld,but I've never used it.I got about a case of it,the brush on not the spray.

Comment

Ray Stewart SDC
                        51 pick-up
                        57 silver hawk
                        62 lark

Comment

As long as you use an etch primer and an epoxy primer, which will seal the metal, you should be just fine (we are on the Gulf Coast of Texas, rust is our biggest competition). But we also base clear the undercoating to make it easy to clean. (the inside floor is sprayed with single stage, no need for clear.) HOPS, we do the whole underside of the car, and fenders with undercoating. On the fenders its great bc if you like to drive your car, there is no worry about a rock or object slinging into the inside of the fender and blistering the paint on the outside. Also, ease of cleaning after a good drive. When clear coated, some spray detailer and a rag can make the underside look brand new again.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Da Tinman

You need more than primer under it. Primer is not water proof and in fact will retain water.

I would scuff and clean it, then por15, scuff it again then the bed coating.

The bed coat helps a lot with road noise and heat from the floors, have never exposed it to engine/ehaust heat though.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                            Depends on the prepped surface, any existing rust should be dealt with first. Prep the surface, spray or paint epoxy primer on and then apply the bedliner. You won't have a problem.
                            The primer is not for water proofing anything, it acts as a sealer and adhesion promoter. The bedliner coating has anti rust chemicals in it, just be sure all the primer is covered.
                            Truck bed liner spray color coatings. We offer truck bed liners hand roller non slip paint. Pickup truck, camper top repair protection coating.

I recommend the airspace primer this company makes. Affordable high quailty epoxy primer.

64 Champ long bed V8
                            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I guess my complaint with the above post is using a primer as a sealer, they arent. Primers are a porous surface that "breaths".

Por15 is a sealer. Easy to use, easy to prep, and sticks to almost everything. It is also thin enough to run into nooks crannies and down into the pinch welds. Used correctly it is nearly impossible to remove short of grinders and magic cuss words.

Spendy? a little, but a quart can of por will cover most car floors with one coat.

Just my thoughts anyway.

http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X