57 wagon engine/overspray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 wagon engine/overspray

Please take a look a look at the engine in this 57 wagon(a nice car to start with by the way). There is over spray on the valve covers that is engine color. I have no idea if green is the original color for 57 engines, but I think I heard somewhere that Studebaker put the painted valve covers on the engine, and then sprayed the engine block in it's color, thus getting over spray on the valve covers and other parts(at least I think it was Studebaker, but could have been Chrysler) My question is this, is this correct? Is this an engine with original paint? Is this the way Studebaker would have done it from the factory? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1957-...item35a5b43e58

No way thats original .....even got paint on the gas line ....didn't come like that.

[IMG]
    Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    1966 Daytona SS
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I like that wagon.

Comment

With all the warts this car has the overspray is pretty minor, didnt come with an engine color painted fan and pulley either. The tail pipe aint original either

If it wasn't for the last minute i'd never get anything done.
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I've been looking at this car on eBay for well over a year and can't believe how nice it is! Looks like an honest, exceptionally well-preserved example. Pull the front fenders and rebuild them, fix that scrape on the right side, add some full wheel covers and enjoy a sharp show-n-go wagon! If the one in my garage looked that good I might be more motivated to get to work on it[|)]

As for the overspray, definitely not original; just an amateur rattle-can touch-up. You can see the same level of work on the radiator tank.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Well I'll tell you this if that's not original it is extremely close!

I have owned and seen a very large number of '56 and '57 V-8's and they all had some Studebaker Turquoise (GREEN) engine enamel overspray on the edges of the valve covers, fuel line, fuel pump, oil filter and even sometimes the Black Gen. adj. arm and Oil Cap.
            In fact I have seen Gen. arms just like that.

If it has been redone, it's VERY correct.

Now if it had an Orange & Black dealer installed Oil Filter, I would not believe it.

Sure the rest of the car has had repairs and changes over the years, but I would say they just rebuilt the Carb. and pressure washed the engine, that's it! [^] It not only has the correct faded, burned rusted color but even the original Valve cover Decals! [:0]

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Well I'll tell you this if that's not original it is extremely close!

I have owned and seen a very large number of '56 and '57 V-8's and they all had some Studebaker Turquoise (GREEN) engine enamel overspray on the edges of the valve covers, fuel line, fuel pump, oil filter and even sometimes the Black Gen. adj. arm and Oil Cap.
              In fact I have seen Gen. arms just like that.

If it has been redone, it's VERY correct.

Now if it had an Orange & Black dealer installed Oil Filter, I would not believe it.

Sure the rest of the car has had repairs and changes over the years, but I would say they just rebuilt the Carb. and pressure washed the engine, that's it! [^] It not only has the correct faded, burned rusted color but even the original Valve cover Decals! [:0]

StudeRich
              This was my impression as well, I just didn't know if turquoise was a correct engine color for 57's as I am more familiar with 58's. As far as the posts that say it is not original, it didn't come that way, ect.... Is that just your gut feelings, or do you know for a fact? I'm not trying to dispute anyone, I am just looking for a solid answer, from someone who remembers them new, or has had enough experiance with them to know.

Comment

I was a little shocked at that price in today's market with the body needing quite a bit of welding. Even with that nice interior and motor, I thought about half was right. No?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I was a little shocked at that price in today's market with the body needing quite a bit of welding. Even with that nice interior and motor, I thought about half was right. No?
                  You might be onto something there. I've lost count of how many times this poor car has been listed~
                  as well as how many different sellers have tried their hand at it!!!

She just never seems to the reserve they set... [:0] [B)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                  Ferndale, WA

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                  '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                  '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                  '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                  '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                  '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Okay, I'm confused. Where are the pictures of the engine? All in all it looks to be in good shape, minus the front fender issues. I wonder what they will take for it? I might make them an offer. Something about the '57 wagons, you know!

Chip
                    '63 Cruiser daily driver
                    '57 Packard wagon on the road!
                    Chip
                    '63 Cruiser
                    '57 Packard wagon
                    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by raoul5788

Okay, I'm confused. Where are the pictures of the engine?
                      Chip; they ARE there in the ebay ad, the very last 5 pics. If you have dial-up, forget it! These are bigger than HUGE pics!

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

quote:Originally posted by raoul5788

Okay, I'm confused. Where are the pictures of the engine?
                        Chip; they ARE there in the ebay ad, the very last 5 pics. If you have dial-up, forget it! These are bigger than HUGE pics!

StudeRich
                        I scrolled down, but after the picture of the light switch, everything is black.

Edit: Weird! Now they are there! I hear Twilight Zone music!

Chip
                        '63 Cruiser daily driver
                        Chip
                        '63 Cruiser
                        '57 Packard wagon
                        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I talked to the owner. He says his bottom line is 6200. Too rich for my blood.

Chip
                          '63 Cruiser daily driver
                          Chip
                          '63 Cruiser
                          '57 Packard wagon
                          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                          X