Modern Avanti Ignition Wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Avanti Ignition Wires?

Anyone know if modern (wire wound) custom fit wires are available for the Studebaker Avanti?

I do not want generic one size fits all wires.......and they must fit under the ss shields.

Thanks in advance for the info.

When I installed mine I bought the generic then pulled the boots off, opened the connectors and cut the wires to fit then recrimped. Time consuming but effective. Be careful not to nick the core when stripping.
    Rob

Comment

summit sells universal cut and fit wires. you should also invest in a good crimping tool if you go that route.

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

You need 7mm wires to fit the channels in the shields. That's really the only restriction so any set of quality wires has to be 7mm. Check a speed shop, Summit Racing or Jegs. There's not a thing wrong with cut to length wires...you can make them fit exactly. As Bige says, invest in a good crimper tool made for spark plug wires...you won't use it often but it's worth it and makes for a far better job of it.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Pertronix also sells 7mm spiral core plug leads that are supposed to have a vintage look. The appearance of the leads doesn't make much of a difference on an Avanti, but on other engines it does. Bud

Comment

Laemmle, it's been a while back, but seems like early Vette stock replacement wires were what I used on mine. The early Vettes had a shield system very close to the Avanti. Might check with your local parts stores for that. NAPA always had more stuff for oldies than the other locals, but we bought stuff from all of them. You may be able to get modern wires with old look/size from one of the Vette specialty houses also, be sure to double check for adequate length in case my "old" memory has tricked me. Bet someone on these forums beside me has done it. Good luck, John

Comment

John,

I think you are correct. Years ago the Studebaker dealer in Miami Florida told me that a direct replacement could be had by purchasing wires for a 1963 Corvette.

Guess your memory is spot on:-)

Comment

I had a set custom made from Magnecor. They will outlast the car.

========================
                63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                Martinez, CA

Comment

I'm out of stock on the Avanti wires sets by Scott Performance, but should have them in a few weeks. They are custom made from a NOS pattern.

JDP/Maryland
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP, when you have them, what will the price? I am looking for a set that fits. John

1963 Avanti R2
                    John
                    1963 Avanti R2
                    Marshall, VA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by unimogjohn

JDP, when you have them, what will the price? I am looking for a set that fits. John

1963 Avanti R2
                      $35/$5 UPS.

JDP/Maryland
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

John,

Why so cheap?

quote:Originally posted by JDP

quote:Originally posted by unimogjohn

1963 Avanti R2
                        $35/$5 UPS.

JDP/Maryland

Comment

What is the part number, I could not find a listing on their web site.

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

========================
                          Martinez, CA

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

What is the part number, I could not find a listing on their web site.

Originally posted by fmarshall

========================
                            Martinez, CA

They are not part of his NASCAR business, he just is a Studebaker guy and makes them for us. They are cheap because he sells them cheap to me, and I only mark them up 10% over my cost.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

The Summit Pertronix 7mm classic wires even say "Packard Suppression Wire" on them.

Jim
                              Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                              Jim
                              Often in error, never in doubt
                              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X