• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Eye Candy 12/16 Prewar

Craig

Two of the best looking Studebakers you'll ever see. IMHO

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

My eyes need insulin shots from digesting this sweet eye candy! That black & red car is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen. I looks as good as anything Auburn-Cord-Duesenburg ever made. Any information pertaining to these cars that you can share? Does the black car have a headlight that angles sideways when turning the steering wheel? I dont wear suits & ties, but I think I would wear one if I ever drove such a car. Jeans and a shirt just wouldnt be worthy.

Lark ala mode
      In the middle of Minnesota
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Both cars are 1931 President model 80 Four Season Roadsters. The green one is owned by Dick Stewart of Crete, Illinois and the black one to Don Armacost of Grandview, Missouri. Yes, the single light on the black car is called a Pilot Ray and it does turn in unison with the wheels. The two lights on the green car are stationery. They are referred to as Trippe lights and they are aftermarket. The photos were taken at the National meet in Dearborn, Michigan. By the way the third '31 roadster is shown to the left of the black car. It belongs to Ed Prince of Oldsmar, Florida. All powered by 336 cubic inch nine main bearing straight eight engines.

Amazingly there are 55 of these cars extant and probably 50 are restored. Interestingly only 5 model 80 coupes have survived and only one is restored. It is shown below.

Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
        Richard Quinn

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
          The photos were taken at the National meet in Dearborn, Michigan.
          Slight correction on the location. I took those photos in South Bend in 2002 at the International Meet on the day of the Concours.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the pics. I know I will be on a sugar high all day .

Comment

RQ, I'd take your red coupe over any of those roadsters.

The black one 'trimmed' in red.. Is that a "Speedway"?

Matthew Burnette
              Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

What beautiful cars. Thanks for sharing.

Doug
                Venice, Florida
                1950 Champion
                9G F1

Comment

Nice signature photo, Matt.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Craig thanks for the post of the pictures of these fantastic Studebakers, Richard thanks for the history lesson on them too. Alwys great to know the facts and numbers.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

As much as I appreciate Champ Trucking posting all the eye candy and I hope he continues, I love him taking a short hiatus as the competion to fill the void results in much more eye candy. HMMMMMM!! Candy.[]

I just love competition!!!

Bob

Comment

One point that is not mentioned here is the reason for the Four Seasons name. I believe Studebaker was the first automaker to offer roll up door windows on roadsters rather than the usual side curtains. The tops of the window frames can be seen in all of the pictures as they didn't completely disappear into the door.

Didn't the Speedway designation apply only to the Model 90 series of cars?

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my computer. Incredible cars. []

Terry

Comment

I've always heard that if there were roll up windows it was a convertible. No windows, it was a roadster.
                          Did Studebaker refer to them as roadsters ?
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

The '31 President was somewhat of a transition between the true roadster of 1929-30 and the convertible coupe of 1932. Therefore Studebaker referred to it as a Four Season roadster. If your definition is that all 2-4 passenger open cars with roll up windows are convertibles then it is a convertible. Studebaker however used the alternate name as mentioned. In response to dictator27's question (post #12) there were no model 90 roadsters built in 1931. That would be the 136" wheelbase cars. The roadster was built only on the shorter 130" w.b. and referred to as the model 80.
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

I dont wear suits & ties, but I think I would wear one if I ever drove such a car. Jeans and a shirt just wouldnt be worthy.

Funny you should say that, but suits, tie's, and a fine hat were the clothes of the day.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X