Overdrive Trans or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive Trans or not?

Is anyone familiar with the overdrive transmissions circa 1937? Is this transmission the overdrive one, or not? The transmission is large for a 3spd. and there appears to be a cylindrical section at the back of the transmission, possibly housing some planetary gears. Also, the transmission is clearly a top shifter, but there is one additional linkage on the drivers side.

If there is no solenoid or governor I would guess that it might be the freewheeling set-up early Studes had, but that's just a guess. Maybe some of the antique Studebaker people will see this and give a definitive answer.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Looks just like a thirties dodge truck trans.

Comment

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

They DID have manually controlled OD on some models. Referring to my 30s Chassis Parts Catalog, this appears to be such a unit from one of the following models:
          '37 Dictator
          '38 Commander
          '37, '38 Coupe Express
          '38 President

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It's out of my 37' Dictator... Is there a way I could tell for sure if it's the overdrive one?

Comment

Terry, I'd just withdraw the transmission from the bellhousing, set the shift lever in 3rd gear, and operate the manual linkage on the driver's side, and see what happens.

Or else just take it apart. If you plan to use it, you will probably want to put new bearings in it, anyway. If the gears themselves are unserviceable, it might pay to change BOTH transmission and bellhousing to a later Commander style ('47 - '50) and get the electric overdrive. You could still put a top shift on it.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

That big, round housing on the back of it confirms it as an OD tranny. Straight drive trannies don't have that.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me what people know on here.

Doug
                  Venice, Florida
                  1950 Champion
                  9G F1

Comment

There is someone interested in purchasing this trans from me to mount in their 35 Dictator. What is the value of this unit (complete with bellhousing, clutch and trans)? I have no idea and I don't want to be unreasonable, but I don't want to get ripped off either.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 37Dictator

There is someone interested in purchasing this trans from me to mount in their 35 Dictator. What is the value of this unit (complete with bellhousing, clutch and trans)? I have no idea and I don't want to be unreasonable, but I don't want to get ripped off either.
                      Hey...we're adults here, you and the guy come to terms on what he can pay and you can afford to take for it. If it helps to get another Studebaker back on the road...that alone is worth something. When it comes to this hobby, value is not always measured in dollars. Make a friend and don't spend too much time looking back.

John Clary
                      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                      SDC member since 1975
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

This is where The Antique Studebaker Review can be a big help. Not to say that there's a price guide in that fine publication, but you can watch the classifieds and get an idea of what such things are going for.
                        Certainly, this is a rare unit. Also, certainly, there's not alot of folks beatin' the bushes looking for one. So you have to balance rarity against the hope you'll get a chance to sell it.
                        I sold a rather rare prewar OD tranny for $175 about 4 or 5 years ago. The guy that bought it had way more money than I've ever had command of and the price was inconsequential as far as he was concerned. On the other hand, I'd gotten the tranny for FREE - but figured it must have SOME value to someone, somewhere. It set here for about 2 years before this someone in need came along. Bingo! It found a loving home, and I got compensated for going to where I'd heard it was languishing - rescuing it from the impending, less kind fate - bringing it home and storing it and then adequately packing it for a trip across the continent. While the tranny was "free", there was my initiative and sweat equity involved.

A junkyard near me that closed up a couple years ago - they had half a dozen or so Studebaker trannies from the 20s and early 30s. I considered saving them, just because. BUT, understandably, the yard owner wanted money for me to call them my own. Since they'd laid there from before WWII, I figured there was time for me to feel out the market a bit and I did so. I basically was told (by very knowledgable persons) to leave them rest in peace. That's what I did and I'm still a bit sad that they've undoubtedly gone to China for a rebirth of something new that required raw iron.[V]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

Comment

Working...
                        X