Champ Pitman Arm Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ Pitman Arm Needed

Does anyone have a good pitman arm for a 60 Champ 1/2 ton that they would like to sell?

Thanks,
    Nick

P/N 1692208 used on 1960, 61 & 62 Champs.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

P/N 1692208 used on 1960, 61 & 62 Champs.
      Just another part that the 63 Champ parts truck was unwilling to sacrifice to keep the 60 on the road. [}]

Nick

Comment

Yeah, they changed the steering geometry quite a bit with the 8Es. Likely, I have what you need lying around here someplace. Trick would be in finding it!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Please let me know if you find one. The one that was on the truck broke in half so I'm not going anywhere.

Thanks,
          Nick

Comment

Is there a number on it?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

Comment

1692208, it appears to be a rare insistence where the part number matches the casting number.

Nick

Comment

Okay... what's a Pitman Arm, and would they be the same on a six as an eight? If yes, to the latter, I have one on a truck you can likely have for shipping. Only thing is, (LOL) you'll have to tell me which part it is!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Its the one hanging off the box that the drag link connects to . As posted it the same for 5E-7E models 5 to 12 so sixes and eights 60-62

Jon Krimm
                  1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Could you post a pic of the broken edges? How did it break? I thought those were forged. I wonder if you got a bad casting. I've welded a lot of steering arms with no problems, so it's a real surprise to me.

Comment

"Could you post a pic of the broken edges? How did it break? I thought those were forged. I wonder if you got a bad casting. I've welded a lot of steering arms with no problems, so it's a real surprise to me."
                      I would like to see that myself. I don't recall ever seeing a Pittman arm break.

Comment

The damaged ones I've seen were as a result of how they were taken off.

Comment

I have a parts truck here...

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Could the steering assembly from the 8E be transferred to the 7E? I'd swap tie rods, drag link, drums,and axle. Seems it would be a better steer system. Better ride with 8E springs with being shackled at the rear of spring. More work, but better outcome. Having rebuilt both, I'd use 8E. I know the shaft had a minor reputation for snapping back in the day,but that was usually attributed to column to frame misalignment.
                            Just my thoughts, don't hit me too hard.
                            Kim

Comment

I don't have the part here, but I got a chance to look at it when I was at my parent's this weekend.

The pitman arm broke when my dad was driving the truck about a week ago. He said that he was parallel parked and was turning the wheel when he heard a clunk, then the wheel was a lot easier to turn. When he went to pull the pitman arm, it fell off after he removed the nut. It had broken in two near the splined hole.

After looking at it and talking to my dad, it appears that it had a slight crack on the one side that had been there for a while. When it broke it twisted some of the splines where it connects to the steering box and spread about a 1/4" and yes the part is forged. The tires on the truck are wider than stock so that doesn't help reduce the steering effort, specially when parked.

I've thought about changing over to the 8E system but that will take quite a bit of time to do and currently the truck is sitting in the middle of everything getting in the way. For the time being I'm going to fix the current system and then figure out if I want to change to the other system.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X