Scammers are back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammers are back

There appears to be someone back again going through this site trying to get one of us to bite on sending them money. Here's the email, make up your own mind. Beware that your Studebaker TW ads are always at the mercy of someone with less than honest intentions. Maybe I'm just too cynical. [V]

I am DONALD ZILLIAN, from LONDON,UK,i came across your advert on website
    that you are in need of the above subject stated,i just want to used
    this little words of mine to let you know that i have it for sale,and
    still in a good condition, if you need some pics of the item i can
    send them to you once i heard from you so we can bargain price and i
    will need your complete address for shipping purpose, please i only
    need a serious buyer and i do accept check payment ,international
    money order and western union money transfer,MoneyGram money Transfer and also let me know what method of payment you prefer...You
    can call me on +447035962520 or send me an email for further
    discussion

Boy, I would jump all over that!

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

Comment

While I have yet to receive my December TW by mail, Chester Bradfield had an extra copy he shared with me at the Greater Virginia Chapter Christmas party on Saturday. There was a letter to the editor from an anonymous member detailing this scam (page 18). He/she apparently was taken for $150 and the scammer was asking for more.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

They are targeting Hemmings, as well. That Avanti seller near here sent me a similar letter and she sent it to me for my take on it. She has had several of these from people using such ads to try to suck folks in to a con. Makes one not want to ever put their email or phone number out there.

Comment

Hi

Post anything on Craigslist, get a bunch of these scam emails.

But anybody who receives one and can't tell from the poor use of English, the fact they never mention the item being sold or advertised, offers to pay whatever is ask for the item, immediately list payment methods that are suspect.....since the person receiving these scam emails isn't living under a rock, has plenty of opportunity to read scam warnings....well, deserves to get scammed if they fall for it!

Steve

Comment

They hit the Studebaker Swap site about 3 or so months ago.

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Are people really stupid enough to fall for that crap?

Mark Anderson
              Member SDC and FMCA
              Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

Comment

Does he accept major credit cards ?

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

Yeah, I was going to add that these types of scammers have a finite number formats that they follow. I just trash bin them. But I wish there was some way of getting the people who originate these things. Problem is that they often use facade profiles that use other people's legitimate email addresses and hide behind the reply to address.

General rule of thumb, if they can't follow your instructions in an ad you place, then they aren't on the level.

quote:Originally posted by 56H-Y6

Hi

Post anything on Craigslist, get a bunch of these scam emails.

But anybody who receives one and can't tell from the poor use of English, the fact they never mention the item being sold or advertised, offers to pay whatever is ask for the item, immediately list payment methods that are suspect.....since the person receiving these scam emails isn't living under a rock, has plenty of opportunity to read scam warnings....well, deserves to get scammed if they fall for it!

Steve
                  Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

The problem is they spot an email, send a response and hope. Can't stop them, they get through the spam guard. Mine was a Stude part-type want ad in TW that I'm getting the responses to this time. I didn't place it anywhere else, so the TW reprint here on the SDC site must have triggered it. I could see how honest, trusting people may bite on one of these ads. Many people don't normally think like a criminal. I know some honest vendors who can't spell worth a darn, so one can't go by that red flag either. There are legitimate parts that show up in Europe on eBay, so it's easy to see how folks may take the bait if they aren't internet scam savvy. Luckily these are the crude ones, I'm sure there are shrewder crooks out there than these guys. Here's another from this morning:

Hi Mate,
                    Am James from London.I saw your placed ADs on the internet.So if
                    you're still interested in it,just contact me.

Thanks,

Miller.

NAME: James Miller
                    ADDRESS: 157 Sydney Road Muswell Hill, LondonN10 2NLUnited Kingdom
                    EMAIL: auto.spares57@gmail.com

Comment

BTW, I'm hoping Go-Studebaker, Greg Diffen, will just pick my part up for me since it seems to be quite plentiful in the UK!

Comment

DO NOT DO NOT ever call these foreign phone numbers sometime they charge thousand of dollars and since you called the phone company makes you pay.

Comment

Well I am that stupid. I got a so called ebay email and it said that I needed to confirm my card # so I did and. Thinking of that is done this was two days ago.. Today I go to the kwik trip us my card and it was declined. Tried 4 more times. this is my card. We have 3 other cards so I Pay with an another card it worked . So my wife and I come home and call the bank. They tell me the card is looked up and that 2 days ago that I made a $1.00 pay to blabla I say I have never heard of that co. well the bank asks me if I tried to buy airline tickets and I say no, and like 4 more items or so and I say no, I did get it fixed but it just so sad that you try to live an honest life and bang you get riped off. lucky that I have card protection. Thieves got me for the $1.00 so far as I know at this time, and now I have to call the bank in the morning to have a new card issued. So if you get an email from ebay call them up and ask them whats up don't give info on your email you may get burned.Gene

Comment

Gene, they got your email address from somewhere else and sent you a fake eBay page to trick you. Very common phish. You have to be very careful. Banks and credit card companies do not send you emails to confirm anything like that. Always go to their known secure sites on your own and use your login and password without answering any other email to do it. I'm glad you got it straightened out.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Does he accept major credit cards ?

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together
                              No, but I do!

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

Working...
                              X