door panel help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• door panel help

I'm looking for some pictures to give me ideas for the door panels on my 51 Champion. I want a period look even though it will not have the original door handles or window cranks.

I'm hoping if I get enough pictures, I can show the upholsterer what I want.

Can you help a brother out?

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

How 'bout a mixture of '55 and 62 K with a piece of brushed stainless thrown in.

quote:Originally posted by Sdude

I'm looking for some pictures to give me ideas for the door panels on my 51 Champion. I want a period look even though it will not have the original door handles or window cranks. I'm hoping if I get enough pictures, I can show the upholsterer what I want. Can you help a brother out? Jon Stalnaker

I am in the process of getting parts and pieces gathered up for the May 2010 South Bend Swap meet. How about you?

Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia
    Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff.

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Sdude

I'm looking for some pictures to give me ideas for the door panels on my 51 Champion. I want a period look even though it will not have the original door handles or window cranks. I'm hoping if I get enough pictures, I can show the upholsterer what I want. Can you help a brother out? Jon Stalnaker
      Here's what I make my side and kick panels with.

I am in the process of getting parts and pieces gathered up for the May 2010 South Bend Swap meet. How about you?

Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia
      Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff.

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I don't have anyway to copy VHS to CD-Rom, but I have a RodDoors tape showing how to make your own door panels. As RodDoors just went belly up, I doubt there is an issue with sharing how they did it.

As Jerry mentioned, they used ABS plastic, but they used/suggested .125 thickness. The panels were attached with...velcro. Same spacing as the typical clipped panel. The suggestion was to use strong glue as used in upholstry shops for the material and any padding used under it. Glue a piece of padding about a half inch wide on the back side of the trim panel at the edge. It doesn't have to be perfect. Sand the edge on both sides to round the edges so the material has no sharp edges when the material is wrapped around it. The foam acts as a filler to seal the panel to the frame of the door so there are no visible gaps.

The good thing about plastic is that a heat gun can repair a lot of mistakes made to it. You can also glue additional plastic on top in whatever raised pattern you like. Again, sand down the end and glue foam or material to it. I watched this guy do a seminar at Ididit in MI about 5 years ago and it's really a slick idea. The only bad part about the guy going out of business (other than losing a great vendor) is that he had a great collection of arm rests named after peppers (no kidding).

If our friends in CO can't locate me the trim panels for the Daytona, I'll make similar ones myself.

Jon, are you using power windows? If so, you might want to check to see if you can find some late '50's or early '60's power window switches from a Lincoln, Mercury or '58-'60 big 'Bird. The switches are pretty tuff and really look the part in a '50's car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2161.27)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

There are two 51'a on Ebay today. Both have a photo of the door upholstery.

The 1950 Champion Starlight
          Santa Barbara
          CA

Comment

Thanks for the responses. As clarification, I'm not looking for information on how to build them - but rather I'm seeking design ideas. I'm thinking about built in armrests that carry across both doors. I think the Land Cruisers had something like that. Are the 52s a little fancier than the 51 versions?

Jon Stalnaker
            Editor, Hawk Talks
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
            X