The Studebakers and another new family tradition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Studebakers and another new family tradition

This is the first Christmas that we have had both Studebakers, which provided us with the perfect opportunity to create a new family tradition. This morning, we loaded up the kids and the Studebakers and headed out to get our Christmas tree!

After a fair amount of deliberation, we decided on a tree and even managed to convince the fellow helping us that George the President is not a Chevy...

The kids rode in George because A) He has seat belts, and B) They were really convinced that the tree was going to fall out the back of the truck and they wanted to be able to see it when it did.

Getting ready to hit the road with our new tree. This sure beats John's idea of tying the tree onto George's roof! (Was he afraid of scratching the truck's paint job?)

The old truck got a lot of stares and quite a few thumbs up going down the road. It was a beautiful morning for a drive and so nice not to have to worry about the heat.

Much to the kids' disappointment, the tree made it back home without managing to fly out of the truck!

The tree continues to sit in the driveway as we flip a coin for the rights to the next new family tradition...who gets the honor of sweeping the needles out of the truck bed? We'd love to hear about the traditions that others have started based around their Studebaker(s)!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Looks like great Studebaker family fun, and the memories those girls will have for a life time.

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Great to see you folks posting again. My truck is the first Studebaker I ever owned. We started a similar tradition back in the '70's of doing the same thing. However, I have always had a pretty nice paint job on my truck and pulled a small trailer for the tree. For the past few years, we drive the truck to church, Stude events, and to see the grand kids now. This picture was taken, after a brief dusting of snow, a few years ago in the shadow of a tree (now about 30 feet tall) that was once a Christmas tree in our house.

[img][/img]

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Great pictures, love that truck. We also picked up our tree with a Studebaker pick up. The vendor was old enough to recognize it.

Don Wilson
        53 Commander Hardtop
        64 Champ 1/2 ton
        Centralia, WA
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Love the pictures. We went to get our tree today also. No Stude truck to haul it in though

66 Commander R1 Clone
          51 Commander 4dr
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Great pix & captions!

Chris Pile
            Editor: The Studebaker Special
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

THANKS for sharing these great pictures. Enjoy your Studes.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Looks like you gave your children a GREAT Christmas memory.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your pictures

Lenny
                  Atlanta Ga.

Comment

John and Tracy, Thanks for sharing those lovely pix. Fabulous family and traditions. We have 6 children.... all grown up now. Its nice to see you cherishing the moments. They do grow up so stinkin fast, it'll make your head spin. We're at 32 years and counting. Keep having a great time.

sals54
                    sals54

Comment

Very nice, guys!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Great work, J&T! Thanks for sharing those wonderful story telling pictures. Your son and daughter will remember those simple family traditions for a long, long time. Traditionally my youngest daughter and I travel with my truck every year to a long time family friend's tree farm and either dig it up, then try to re-plant it in January, or just cut it down fresh if the trunk is too big. Blowing the dead needles off on the way home is a must! Merry Christmas to you all in sunny Arizona.

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun! I know what you mean about people insisting that they're Chevys. People are always asking what year Nomad Bess is.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Great pictures and i love the patina of your truck, I'd never paint it.

If it wasn't for the last minute i'd never get anything done.
                            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Cool pics sports fans,it just don't get any better than this.

Comment

Working...
                              X