63 Lark Fan Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Lark Fan Belt

Curious....I purchased a 63 Lark (one of those out of a barn deals) about three years ago, and put it in storage here at the house. It's number came up this summer and I began the process of making it run again. I discovered the water pump was leaking so I replaced. Upon replacement I was making a visual of the belt to see if it needed replacement. It is in okay shape...but upon my examination, I found the belt has "Studebaker" stamped on it. I have never seen one like this....is this a factory belt or did someone make aftermarket belts with Studebaker on it? The car is in solid shape, just cosmetic issues and shows less that 40K on the clock. I was just curious...anyone?

It's a factory or dealer-replacement belt.
    I have a Supecharger Belt marked Studebaker

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Quite possibly original if your car has that few miles on it. Certainly a factory best even if it is a replacement item.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That's kinda where I am going. I have no way of authenticating the mileage, but once the dirt was removed and things cleaned, it fired right up, is quiet, doesn't smoke or LEAK. I just got home and checked the mileage...it shows 26730. Being THAT low makes me think that it is more likely 126730. In any event, I am going to spend some time with it and may just make it my daily ride this spring. Thanks for the information.
        paul

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Quite possibly original if your car has that few miles on it. Certainly a factory best even if it is a replacement item.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

Comment

You know, Paul, in 1974 my Mother finally sold my Father's ranch. Included in the deal was a '62 wagon with less than five thousand miles on the clock. I didn't pay attention to that kind of thing back then, but I remember Mum remarking whilst we were leaving San Fransisco that the car had only five hundred miles on it. It spent the next six years in a barn before she let me drive it to school for a year. Four years later it went with the Ranch. I don't know what happened to it, but my point here isn't necessarily Grandmum's car. The fact of the matter is that Studebakers had a reputation in my childhood as an older person's car.[:I] Still do, as a matter of fact. It's entirely possible, inotherwords, that your car only had 26k on it. I would think that's possible as you mentioned that it doesn't leak or smoke and started so easily. Also, that belt is a dead give-away of low mileage. These cars don't seem to object as much as the big three's offerings to a hiatus in operation. Studebakers seem to appreciate a snooze once a decade or so. Kinda like the Rip Van Winkle of cars.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by paynestude

That's kinda where I am going. I have no way of authenticating the mileage,/Cut/
            How about the lower right corner of the brake pedal? Almost no wear there, would help to prove the 26730 miles! [:0]
            Try these:

Door or door post lube stickers?

Radiator and Heater hose spring type clamps?

Older original formed Radiator hoses?

Three grooved, blue striped metallic Black heater hose?

Maroon Spark Plug Wires?

Champion spark Plugs?

Firestone or U.S. Royal bias ply Nylon 6.40/6.50X15 spare tire?

Black rubber covered, not plastic Prestolite Battery Cables?

Studebaker Battery? Lol, probably NOT in 2009! [)]

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sure would love to see pix if you have 'em!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Now I can't wait to get home and check some of this stuff out! I know when I replaced the plugs, they were Champion and the wires were a reddish brown (and dirty!). I have the spare tire in my garage and it is a bias ply, but unsure of the manufacturer. The battery had been replaced along with the cables. I don't remember about the hoses, and I believe there are service stickers on the drivers door jam. Maybe I will try to scare up a picture or two. I have started fixing the body on the car...looking for accident damage, etc. I have found an issue with the passenger side doors but other than that, it is solid. Currently I have all of the trim off the car and the rear bumper assembly. My goal is to paint it this spring and drive it this summer to work out any issues. Thanks for making me think about things that had not crossed my mind!

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

quote:Originally posted by paynestude

That's kinda where I am going. I have no way of authenticating the mileage,/Cut/
                How about the lower right corner of the brake pedal? Almost no wear there, would help to prove the 26730 miles! [:0]
                Try these:

Door or door post lube stickers?

Radiator and Heater hose spring type clamps?

Older original formed Radiator hoses?

Three grooved, blue striped metallic Black heater hose?

Maroon Spark Plug Wires?

Champion spark Plugs?

Firestone or U.S. Royal bias ply Nylon 6.40/6.50X15 spare tire?

Black rubber covered, not plastic Prestolite Battery Cables?

Studebaker Battery? Lol, probably NOT in 2009! [)]

StudeRich

Comment

You know, if the paint is not too awful, you might consider just putting a shine on it and leaving it. If you really do have a low-mileage survivor, it could be a real contender in the Unrestored/Original classes. As they say, it's only original once!

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It is....it has had a repaint....Weatherbeater I believe. At least they tried to match the original green.

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

You know, if the paint is not too awful, you might consider just putting a shine on it and leaving it. If you really do have a low-mileage survivor, it could be a real contender in the Unrestored/Original classes. As they say, it's only original once!

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard

Comment

Working...
                    X