Harry Barnes, South Bend, and a '38 Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Barnes, South Bend, and a '38 Stude

Most of you TW readers have probably seen my article on George's '38 Commander, and my commentary about it possibly belonging to Harry Barnes.

I just got this email.

Hi Matthew,
    I have been a member of sdc since 1964, my wife and were
    at the first national meet in LI in 1965. At that time Harry
    Barnes had a 1951 Comm. We went to many SDC meets in South
    Bend starting in 1968. I remember Harry driving his 1938
    Comm from NY to South Bend, I think around 1969 or 70 maybe
    even 72, but he had put a later new engine in it, a 245 comm
    so if that has one, it could very well be the one you wrote
    about. If I can find anything in my old newsletters about it
    I will send them to you.
    Keep up the good work on your stories.
    Dave Dow

I don't know if I mentioned it, but yes, George's car does have a later replacement engine. So now I have no doubt that this car was Harry's. I don't think a '38 Commander with SDC stuff in the trunk, from Bellmore, NY could've been owned by anyone else.

So, if anyone has any pictures, write-ups, or anything relating to those possible South Bend meets mentioned in the email, please, let me know. I'd like to do a follow up article on the car and a picture from a SB meet would be perfect.

Matt, you seem to have a knack for finding the most interesting stuff. Keep up the good work.

That is one of my favorite Studebaker front ends.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

I love any Stude with the big old style headlights and this one for sure falls in that catagory.
      What a cool car not one thing missing. Big sweeping fenders, those headlights, fog lights and a huge tall grill.

I would trade the 62 woody I have for that any day.

Dean.

Comment

I've been trying to become the owner of this car since I first saw it. I can't remember how long ago that was. Now I want it even more. George just won't budge though.

Besides it likely being owned by the Founder of the SDC, it also still wears its original paint and interior. Cool Stude... [8D]

Comment

Matt, I was at the South Bend meet in 1970. Unfortunately, don't remember the car, couldn't find any old pictures, but remember the swap meet was held downtown in an old radiator shop (Rick's?) that had lost all or most of its roof! Dan

Comment

Thanks for the comments Dan. Stuff like that is what always seems to be forgotten.

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matthew --

I was at the '65 Long Island meet myself, though still 19 at the time, and I remember David Dow (and Harry of course, and many other good folks). If you can send him my email address, or send me his I'd really like to get back in touch: gene.nagle@gmail.com

THANKS -- and I agree regarding the '38; it's a car that could most likely STILL be driven across the country with that GREAT Big 6 engine in it!

Gene Nagle
              1963 Hawk R1
              Gene Nagle
              1963 Hawk R1
              1985 Avanti

Comment

Matthew, I'm kinda surprised you haven't got more responses to this post. After all, we're talking about a car that might have been owned and driven by the founder of SDC. I would have thought someone would remember the car. Of course, we're also talking about 40+ years ago; lotta Stude folks have come and gone since then. . . .

Comment

True Curtis.

Hangin' on the wall of George's shop, is a small (about a foot long), felt pennant with the Studebaker cursive script on it. It was in the trunk of the car when George bought it.

I called David Dow, and he specifically asked "What SDC stuff was in the car?" I mentioned the pennant and he said, "Yea, Harry gave those out in '65 (red ones) and '66 (blue ones) at the National meets. We all had them on our antennas and went on a tour with the cars. I have mine still somewhere."

I also called George Hamlin. He vaguely remembers Harry driving the car to South Bend, and he also remembered the red and blue pennants.

I have a couple of other people to call who may know something. So far, all info that I've scrounged up leads to this car being owned by Harry.

It makes you wonder.. How many other cars are out there today that Harry Barnes owned? And how many are still in original, unmolested condition... [8D]

It's amazing what can come up when some kid gets curious about a stupid oil change sticker from Bellmore, NY.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I also have one of those pennants and I attended many SDC meets in the 1960s and 1970s, including NYC, LI & SB. I can't say that I remember the car, but especially at that time, I didn't pay much attention to pre-War models.

Harry used to come up to Hudson Valley Chapter meets in that time frame, but I only remember him arriving in a Packard.

I do remember a '38 with those headlights at a Zone Meet in Tarrytown run by the Hudson Valley Chapter. I believe that that car was owned by a Long Island Chapter member other than Harry.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

George sent me a pic of the pennant that was in the car when he bought it.

Matthew Burnette
                      Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Comment

Here you are Matthew. Incidentally Herb Read is still with us and still has the '42.

Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I don't think that is the same car in RQ's photos and Matt's (George's) photo. The car in Matt's photo doesn't have an American flag on the radio antenna. [)]

Matt, can you find out something about those fog lamps? That is about the only difference I really found. Of course, I am always waiting on the experts to speak up. [8D]

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thank you for posting, RQ.

I think the 'flag' in the old photos is actually the pennant that I mentioned/posted earlier in this thread.

I just called Herb Read, and he does remember this car. Maybe if the planets align just right, both cars will be back in South Bend in 2012.

Herb remembers the car well and remembers posing for the picture. It's something... I get curious about a stupid oil change sticker, and now we have pictorial proof of Harry Barnes owning the car. [8D]

The fog lights are genuine Studebaker lights. Most likely not correct for a '38, but they've been on there since before George got the car. And they do look cool.

Comment

Also, you can see that Harry owned the car until at least 1976, according to the sticker here that started all this nonsense.

He must have really liked this '38.

Comment

Working...
                              X