Newbie Member Intro and 1963 Lark Tail-light bezel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Member Intro and 1963 Lark Tail-light bezel

Looking for a tail-light assembly particularily the bezel or trim surround ( is it one solid piece?) for a recently acquired 1963 Daytona Hardtop. I'm a long time lurker/reader of the forum and thought that I would both introduce myself and ask if anyone might know of this part. I have searched the many online resources, thought someone here might have one. I do understand they are available in new condition but I figured that someone might be able to point me in the direction of a good used replacement. Looking forward to being a bit more active in the forum as well as my wife and I have made the trip to South Bend, Lancaster, and most recently Cedar Rapids and our Studebaker love goes all the way back to the '50's!

Ed
    Ed

Welcome and glad you finally jumped in. At first I thought that said larker/reader.

Comment

Ed, as you may already know, reproductions are made which typically cost $65 each for a complete plastic tail light (lens & chrome plated plastic are one piece). Used lenses typically have cracks and discoloration. If you are okay with said imperfections, I'm sure somebody has one or two to sale. Oh, and welcome to the forum! Got any pics of your Lark to share?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      MN iron ore...it does your body good.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Hi Ed and Eds wife Welcome to the Forum it's a great place to be. Gene & Jeanne

Comment

Hi Ed, Welcome aboard. I'm not sure of just which part you're in need of. Is it the metal body that the lens attaches to or... Typically, the 63 lenses lost the little "spider" piece that glued onto the red lens. The outer "chromed" portion is not separate from the red section, so it hardly deserves the definition of bezel.
          Not trying to be a lingual expert here - just trying to define what you want to determine if I might have one.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

.... The outer "chromed" portion is not separate from the red section,....

Thanks Bob... and many thanks to all who welcomed me. The outer "chromed" portion is EXACTLY what I need to replace. I wish I would have taken a good photo of it today to show rather than tell as they say a picture says a thousands words. The "spider" portion on both assemblies are in really great condition. I just sort of didn't want one new one and one original one on the vehicle.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

Ed
            Ed

Comment

Welcome Ed and Mrs. Ed!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I think he is refering to the chrome metal piece that holds the actual light socket. It screws to the body with a gasket and then the "lens" screws to it.

Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-242-3530

Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

$65 for one or $120 for a pair at www.studebakerparts.com

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                  MN iron ore...it does your body good.
                  sigpic

Comment

OK - what you're in need of - is it chromed metal or chromed plastic?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Chris Dresbach
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

If you need the whole assembly, I have it used. It is a good unit for a driver car, but is not a show condition piece. This is the metal assembly that mounts to the body and holds the bulb as well as the chrome/red plastic lens part. I would sell you the assembly for a $45 money order ($35 + $10 S&H).

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I pulled behind a new GMC Acadia Crossover and noticed the tail lights. A pretty close copy of Studebaker's 1963 tail light inside a larger plastic shell. Of course GM updated the tail light with LED's between all the webs. Here's a picture of the tail light.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                          Oakville, Ontario.
                          Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
                          PSMCDR 2014
                          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                          PSMCDR 2013
                          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Interesting observation, I likely would have never noticed that. It even has the same number of webs.

Lark ala mode
                            In the middle of Minnesota
                            sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

I pulled behind a new GMC Acadia Crossover and noticed the tail lights. A pretty close copy of Studebaker's 1963 tail light inside a larger plastic shell. Of course GM updated the tail light with LED's between all the webs. Here's a picture of the tail light.

Allen

I noticed back in 2007.

KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X