HEATER VALVE QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEATER VALVE QUESTION

My heater valve is rusted with the counter weight in the up position.
    I am not having any heating or starting issue even tho it does take 10 minutes or so to get heat...My questions is...What do I use to unfreeze the counter weight shaft ?...John

try PB blaster

1964 Studebaker Commander 2 door

Comment

Will do...thanks...John

quote:Originally posted by tanlikesand

try PB blaster

1964 Studebaker Commander 2 door

Comment

PB blaster might be fine for the outer parts of that valve as well as the lenght of the control cable (and there's a chance the cable is a major culprit here), but likely as not, the slug inside the valve is frozen in it's bore. PB ain't gonna reach in there - not unless you take the valve OFF of the engine and spray the stuff into the inlet and outlet and let it sit awhile.
        I've had LIMITED success in refurbishing these things. They use a graphite-impregnated packing to seal the shaft that drives the slug in or out. It's truly a goofy design that was eclipsed by later, simpler valves (actually, Studebaker was switching to the thermostatically-operated valves in 1950)for other makes of cars, while Studebaker used this style to some degree, right thru 1964.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr Biggs....how does one take that valve off ?....john

Comment

Working...
          X