Hamilton Ontario factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamilton Ontario factory

I was wondering what year did Studebaker build the Hamilton factory and did they have any other factories? Thanks

quote:Originally posted by copcars1

I was wondering what year did Studebaker build the Hamilton factory and did they have any other factories? Thanks
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for the link!! Was there any other factories making Studebakers?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by copcars1

Thanks for the link!! Was there any other factories making Studebakers?
        Yes the Los Angeles, CA plant known as the "Vernon Plant" due to the suburb it was in. It closed in 1955 Assembling components from South Bend on 1956 cars only, no Trucks. I am not sure when it opened, about 1950 I think.

There were Assembly Plants in South America and Australia as well, but I do not believe they were completely Corp. owned.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wasn't there one in Israel too?

I seem to remember Golda Meir had a Studebaker limo and it was because Studebaker was the only company building (assembling) cars in Israel.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Detroit had a plant in the 1930's...
            As far as Isreal.. I don't know.
            Most 'export' Studebakers were partially broken down and shipped in crate form to their destination point.
            There, a dealer...or factory authorized assembly point...put the Studebaker together and did the dealer prep.
            So, a factory it probably wasn't.
            The only 'factory' assembled Studebakers were in south LA, Detroit, South Bend, and Hamilton....(AFAIK)
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JeffDeWitt

Wasn't there one in Israel too?

I seem to remember Golda Meir had a Studebaker limo and it was because Studebaker was the only company building (assembling) cars in Israel.

Jeff DeWitt

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Studebakers were assembled,at various times, but mostly post war, in assembly plants that were locally owned (not corporate, as Deenhock has already said)in Australia, India, Israel, Belgium, South Africa, Mexico and Brazil.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
              47 M-5
              Izzer Buggy
              Junior Wagon
              Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
              61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
              Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
              Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Rich wites:"Yes the Los Angeles, CA plant known as the "Vernon Plant" due to the suburb it was in. It closed in 1955 Assembling components from South Bend on 1956 cars only, no Trucks. I am not sure when it opened, about 1950 I think."

The Vernon plant was established in 1935. During WWII, the plant supplied license-built aircraft engines to various warplane makers. It closed with the end of the '56 year model run.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dont forget the New Brunswick, New Jersey plant. Although it was built by Studebaker where they assembled jet aircraft engines during the Korean War, it never was used afterwards as an assembly plant. Subsequently it was sold to Volkswagen who owned it for only 6 months & never used it and sold it to the present owner.

60 Lark convertible
                  61 Champ
                  62 Daytona convertible
                  63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2)
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

What about Windsor (Walkerville). Ontario? I remembered something about a plant here and found this:

Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The Hamilton Studebaker plant was not built by Studebaker but rather by the Canadian Government in 1941 for the express purpose of building Bofors anti-aircraft armaments for the war effort. In fact I cover this piece of history on page 51 of my new book "My Father The Car". Studebaker Canada president Gordon Grundy had been Deputy Chief of the Wartime Prices and Trade Board prior to joining Studebaker in 1946. Because of Grundy's close association with the Canadian government, he was able to arrange the purchase of the plant for Studebaker. Following preparation for an assembly line operation, Canadian-built 1947 Studebakers were the first to come off the line. CKD Studebakers (completely knocked down) were shipped to South Africa, Belgium, Israel and Australia under Grundy's direction.

Comment

I have this Sept '53 copy of the Studebaker News...Overseas Edition. It is a 28 page magazine all about the introduction of the 1953 cars and trucks world wide...

Two of the "factories" featured are ones in Mexico...

...and India...

At least the one in India appears to be a full factory. They had their own foundry where cylinder blocks were cast, bodies were at least welded up there (and perhaps stamped).

I don't believe the LA "factory" was this complete. I believe the bodies were shipped there from SB already welded up. Motors may have been assembled there, but I believe they were cast in SB.

How about 65 and 66 Hamilton cars? How complete was that "factory"? Clearly, they didn't cast or assemble motors, but did they stamp and weld body tubs?

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

The Budd comapany of Philadelphia stamped out the body panels for Studebaker in 65 & 66. I recently saw a thing showing the roof of a 36 Studebaker being stamped for them by Budd, so there probably was a long relationship between the two compaines. Seeing all the different body panels used by Stude for all the models to 64, I doubt all stamping could have been done in South Bend. Years ago, Ford came out with new body panels (front fenders & rear quarter panels) and was charging list price around $3,000 each. They substantiated the cost by saying that each time they changed dies, it took almost 2 days to setup until they could produce panels. It would be interesting to interview a former stamping plant employee to see how things were done by Studebaker. Perhaps one set of dies stamped out for example a 2 door rear fender, then another trimmed it to being a 4 door fender. If something like that was done, it would cut in half the amount of tooling & stamping equipment needed for those parts.

60 Lark convertible
                          61 Champ
                          62 Daytona convertible
                          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2)
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The union sure didnt do any favors for Studebaker

62 GT Hawk
                            84 vette
                            31 Ford Pickup
                            2005 Maxima
                            2009 Dodge Dakota