Do you call new members in your area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you call new members in your area?

It seems like every month there are new members to SDC in my area.I was wondering if anyone calls the new members in their area when they see the name in TW. It seems like it would be a friendly thing to do but I know some people value their privacy.

Doug

Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion 9G F1

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I try to do that very thing every time I see a new name in our chapter's area. I often wondered if it wouldn't be a good service the SDC could do to let each new member know about the chapters in the new member's area. Maybe they already do that, I don't know.

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

quote:I often wondered if it wouldn't be a good service the SDC could do to let each new member know about the chapters in the new member's area.
        They are supposed to. Our present Zone Coordinator sends us lists from the SDC of new members, current members who have renewed, and those who have lapsed memberships. We then contact those in our area with the appropriate notice.

Chris Pile
        Editor: The Studebaker Special
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

SDC informs local Chapters about new members but, SDC does not specifically inform new members about local Chapters.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hi I Have been a new member for 6 weeks now. And have emailed the south western wisconsin local Chapter. and not one email returned???? I have met a guy down in ferryville 10 minutes from me he has a 62 lark that I am going to buy from him.. And a Dwayne I did buy a 60 lark from he is Junction city 149 miles from me and is a member of the SDC I am going to buy the 2 front fenders and the right rear 1/4 panel from him 650.00 for NOS.. I am hoping to be in Cedar Rapids Iowa 2010.. Hopefully.. If I get my 62 Daytona done.. Still waiting for my T.W. And to find a local Chapter..Gene

Comment

That's a good idea. I see Jay Leno is a new member in my area. Someone give me his phone number and I'll give him a call.

Jon Stalnaker
              Editor, Hawk Talks
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Have been a member for about 6 months now but haven't heard from any local chapters or members. Aren't there any active chapters in western NYS? Very few Studes at shows around here and I know most of the guys that show up but none seem to be associated with a chapter.
                Most of the shows we attend with my 57 Plymouth Fury or the wifes Ramblers cause the Champ is still really rough and I don't like to take it too far(ancient tires and strange noises from that little 6 when she's warmed up-#5 connecting rod or wrist pin?) but have had it to nearby shows. Dick

Comment

some never call you or e-mail you even if you contact them.leaving messages don't seem to work.e-mails don't work. ho by the way finaily got an apple.its beening shipped as we speak.

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

As the PA SDC Regional mgr, I forward a quarterly report to all Chapter presidents and Secretarys giving them both new members and recent expired members. I urge then to contact these members, both expired and new and discuss local chapter activities with them. I also urge them to solicit these prospects for their chapters. As we all know, some will do this and others will not. We however as members should make all new members welcome and drag them along to a local chapter meeting.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

As noted above, SDC sends quarterly lists of both new and expiring members to local chapters. Chapters ares supposed to contact all new members in their area. Unfortunately, it is not unusual for some chapters to go into a slow decline and become relatively inactive. Sometimes, all it takes is a couple of activist members to reinvigorate a chapter. Avantidon is the Regional Manager for Pennsylvania. Among his duties is checking on the health of the chapters in his state.

There are links to an enormous amount of info on the SDC home page, including a link to lists of SDC local chapters:

Local chapter events are summarized every month by Larry Swanson in each issue of TW.

Skip Lackie
                      Board member, Atlantic Zone
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Eugene
                        .. I am hoping to be in Cedar Rapids Iowa 2010....Gene
                        What's going on in Cedar Rapids in 2010?

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Seems like my area attracts Studebaker people, and I'm really not in the heart of South Bend either! Extreme west side almost to the proving grounds. And here we have (all on the same block) myself, maxeys, and then just accross the highway, and a little bit down the road, maybe a mile and a half, Andy Petrass! And only a few car people under the "other brand" category. Studebaker area, I'm tellin ya![]

Chris Dresbach
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

In addition to the efforts of SDC Regional managers, Henry Votel has been contracted to contact all expired members nationaly. His efforts for 2008 were reported in the SDC Board Meeting minutes published in Turning Wheels last month. membership is a vital issue for this organization and in all other car related organizations. It behooves all of us to be involved in the effort to grow this club. Skip has always done everything he can to promote membership in the Atlantic Zone and deserves much credit for his efforts.
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                            X