2 piece drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 piece drive shaft

Can anyone explain why Studebaker used the 2 piece driveshaft ,in their 1953 thru whatever year they stopped making them?

Just a guess, but I assume it was to allow for proper alignment after that spacer was put in at the transmission. The car could be set up for either left or right hand drive and the position of the spacer allowed clearance for the steering box. Other makes had more than one hanger bearing (e.g. Cadillac).
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

It was '47 thru '57 (at least in postwar cars) and it was likely to achieve flatter floorboards.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Biggs has it. The longer a driveshaft is, the larger diameter it must be for high speed stability. Also, when the rear axle rises over a bump, the shaft does too and thus needs more clearance room farther to the front for a 1 pc vs 2 pc setup. Put both of those together and you can have a smaller tunnel hump in the floor, especially in the back seat, for a 2 pc design. The trade-off is there are more parts; bearings, U-joints, etc so its more expensive to make and assemble.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

To get a one piece driveshaft that long, it would need to be around 4" in diameter for strength (just put one in my brothers 08 mustang, went from a heavy 2 piece to a 4" alum.).....also, with the short yoke in the transmissions, there was no way to add a slip yoke, but with a 2 piece, a slip yoke was possible. just my 2 cents

Comment

I prefer the Studebaker design to the old Chevrolet. I think they had a solid driveshaft inside a tube if I remember right.

Doug

Venice, Florida
            1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

Doug, believe it or not, AMC used that torque-tube arrangement right thru 1966 on their full-sized Rammers. What's even more amazing is that all forward thrust is carried by the 4 motor mounts![:0] Ask me what happens when all 4 motor mounts are compromized and you step on the gas from a standstill.[xx(]

BTW: I believe the Chicken Hawk used the original 2-piece driveshaft all along. If not ALL along, for most of it's racing career.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If the 2-piece driveshaft allows a lower hump in the floor, how come the Automatic had such a hellacious front hump and the Flight-O didn't?

The middle front passenger in a '50-'55 automatic almost had to put a cushion between their knees and their chin to keep from jarring their teeth out. [)] If she was wearing a skirt, passing airline pilots could almost see if your GF was wearing her unmentionables. Not to mention the guys at the full-service stations! [:O]

John

Comment

Ah yes! I remember fighting with the other kid workin' the pumps when a good-lookin' customer drove up![:X][:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

Comment

Working...
                  X